The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Burntwood RUFC 53 Worksop RUFC 7

Lloyd Shelley tries to break a tackle. Pic: Joanne Gough

Lloyd Shelley tries to break a tackle. Pic: Joanne Gough

Burntwood RUFC extended their unbeaten start to the season into their third competition.

Having already reached the semi-final of the Staffs Intermediate Cup and winning their first four league games, they progressed into the last 16 of the Midlands Senior Vase by running in nine tries against their visitors from Notts.

For the second Saturday in succession they passed the half century mark although unusually in this match all the scoring was completed by the 55th minute.

Burntwood’s first attack produced their first try. Winger Luke Briggs received good possession to make progress down the touchline. When he was brought down, the ball was recycled to first receiver Graham Shelley who put his side ahead after seven minutes.

Thoughts of a comfortable win were put on hold when the visitors took the lead just two minutes later. Centre Matt Nunn charged a kick down and galloped to the line from 30 metres for a try which he also converted.

Burntwood worked their way into the Worksop half shortly afterwards with Briggs setting up a ruck for Lloyd Shelley to drive off. He offloaded to prop Rob Cartwright who was left with a clear run to the line.

Try-provider Shelley almost scored himself just two minutes later chasing a cross kick by Matt Wood but he was narrowly beaten to the touchdown. However, it proved a brief respite for Worksop. The home pack drove close to the visitors’ posts for Hal Gozukucuk to stretch over for a try converted by Wood.

Burntwood's Rob Cartwright makes a dash for the line. Pic: Joanne Gough

Burntwood's Rob Cartwright makes a dash for the line. Pic: Joanne Gough

The hosts then effectively settled the tie by rattling up three tries in the ten minutes leading up to the break, the first of which was a cracker. Line out possession was quickly transferred to the back line, Wood came in at pace from full back and Lloyd Shelley held off two defenders to score in the blink of an eye. Wood’s touchline conversion made it 24-7.

Scorer Shelley then turned provider after good approach play by Mark Poole and Wood.  He gave the scoring pass to Craig Seedhouse for another excellent try.

The forwards then got in on the act, forcing the visitors’ pack to concede a penalty try after they infringed at a scrum close to their own line. Wood converted to give his side a 36-7 half time lead.

The score mounted five minutes after the restart. Swift handling by the backs was finished off by Matt Sishton in the corner. Four minutes later, John Haire collected a wayward Worksop pass and set off for the posts from 30 metres. Sensing he was being closed down, he threw an outrageous dummy which the defenders bought and he crashed over for the score. Wood converted.

The hosts passed the 50 point mark with Wood touching down in the left corner after another fine handling move.
Burntwood made full use of their replacements in the final quarter with Andy Miles, Brett Taylor, Amrit Derry and Ricardo Mouro all introduced but, amazingly, neither side could add to their total before the final whistle.

Burntwood resume league action with a trip to Wednesbury this Saturday (October 23),  kick-off 3pm. The 2nds host Newcastle (Staffs) 2nds and the 3rds welcome Lichfield Vets.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.