The number of accidental fires in Lichfield homes has fallen, according to new figures.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service revealed that between April and September this year there were 14 fires – compared to 29 in the same period during 2009.

Carmel Warren, Community Safety Manager for Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said:

“Although we are pleased to see a reduction in the number of accidental fires in the Lichfield area we will continue working towards reducing the numbers even more and continuing to keep our communities safe.

“Some accidental fires, such as electrical faults, are usually an unpredictable hazard however a Home Fire Risk Check does help to identify potential fire risks so we would urge anyone who hasn’t already booked one to do it now.”

The most common causes of accidental house fires so far this year have been cooking left unattended or cooking related fires, electrical faults and smoking.

Carmel added:

“We would like to remind everyone to remain in the kitchen whilst cooking and ensure appliances are turned off before leaving the room. It is important to have electrical items checked at least yearly by an expert to help prevent electrical faults.

“Also, anyone smoking in the home should ensure they have fully extinguished their cigarettes before discarding, as a smouldering cigarette can start a fire quite quickly which can easily spread.”


Founder of Lichfield Live and editor of the site.