Firefighters have issued a warning after a firework was pushed through the letterbox of a house in Lichfield.

The incident happened just after midnight on Friday (October 22) at a bungalow on Havefield Avenue in Boley Park.

The firework caused damage to the property hallway and scorched the carpet.

Watch manager Steve Whitehouse said:

“Luckily, the occupants had working smoke alarms which alerted them to the incident. The firework had been jammed through the letterbox which prevented a large explosion, however the occupants could have found themselves with no means of escape if it had set fire to nearby combustible materials.

“Whoever did this needs to realise it is a very silly thing to do, fireworks are not toys and should not be treated like they are – they can fatally injure people if not used safely and appropriately.”

Staffordshire Police are investigating the incident and anyone with information is asked to contact officers on 0300 123 44 55 or alternatively people can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.