The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Dudley Kingswinford RUFC 36 Lichfield RUFC 12

Lichfield RUFC travelled away to unbeaten Dudley Kingswinford RUFC expecting a severe test of their credentials and so it proved.

The game couldn’t have started better when Lichfield put several phases of play together to allow Gareth Brear to squeeze over in the corner for a well taken try.

The Myrtle Greens edged the first quarter, the tight five of Taylor, Gabbitass, Bassett, Squire and Thompson standing up well to a tough test from their opponents.

Milner, Paulson and Burton were on top of their opposition and Lichfield kept Dudley under pressure in attack and defence forcing them to spill ball and struggle for continuity their only success being a well struck penalty to narrow the deficit to 3-5.

In the 25th minute the home side broke through Dudley keeping the ball tight and despite some good defence around the fringes the powerful Dudley number eight finally found a gap to force himself over in the corner. A touchline conversion added to the points tally to make the half time score 10-5 to the hosts but with Lichfield still very much in the game.

Disaster struck for the visitors at the start of the first half. Dudley charged down an attempted clearance and the ricochet ran sweetly for the home side allowing a touchdown under the posts and a simple conversion stretched the lead to 17-5.

Lichfield’s concentration lapsed and two more tries by the home side saw them go clear at 29-5.

The visiting backs had more than held their own up to this point. Cotterhill continued his fine form at scrum half, Luke Massey was having an impressive game at fly half and brother Greg and midfield partner Tom Adams had the measure of their opponents in defence and making a number of breaks through the opposition line.

Brown, Brear and Josh Massey worked hard in defence and sought every opportunity to counter attack but as the game wore on and with some dubious refereeing around the scrummage Lichfield lost their steady supply of possession.

Greg Massey left the field and the resultant reshuffle undoubtedly further disrupted the Myrtle Greens’ flow. Butler did his best to inject some impetus into the game and Sowden came on to give a burst of extra energy.

Lichfield were still determined to get something out of the game and took the game to Dudley at every opportunity.
Two quick penalties gave them momentum they sought and Luke Massey spotted a chink in the Dudley defence to score a fine individual try which he also converted to narrow the deficit to 29-12.

Unfortunately for Lichfield, Dudley had the final word, a converted try bringing the curtain down and giving them a 36-12 victory and while they deserved to win, the scoreline definitely did not reflect the match.

Lichfield entertain Leamington at home on Saturday (October 30) hoping to break their duck at Cooke Fields.

Lichfield: Taylor, Gabbitass, Bassett (c), Squire, Thompson, Burton, Milner, Paulson; W Cotterhill, L Massey, Brown, Adams, G Massey, Brear, J Massey. Subs: Sowden, Albutt and Butler.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.