The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chinese lantern warning to Lichfield and Burntwood residents

Chinese lanterns

Chinese lanterns

People thinking of celebrating bonfire night in Lichfield and Burntwood with Chinese lanterns are being urged to make sure they are 100 per cent biodegradable.

The warning comes after Staffordshire County Council’s animal health team revealed that some of the lanterns contain wire parts that could prove lethal to animals.

They revealed that they have already received numerous calls about livestock that have eaten the wire and died.

Eunice Finney, a Staffordshire farmer who represents the Women’s Food and Farming Union, said:

“Staffordshire livestock farmers are finding more and more debris from sky lanterns in their fields. We are urging the public to report any lanterns they find that contain wire.”

Staffordshire County Council’s animal health team can be contacted on 01785 277875 or by emailing animal.health@staffordshire.gov.uk.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements
Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.