The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Woman treated for smoke inhalation after fire in Lichfield

An elderly woman has been treated for smoke inhalation following a small fire at her home in Lichfield.

Fire crews from Lichfield and Chase Terrace were called to the property on Lower Sandford Street at 10.35pm on January 20.

They found that discarded smoking material had set household rubbish on fire.

Mark Williams from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said:

“On arrival, we found that the occupant had attempted to tackle the fire herself but was suffering from the effects smoke inhalation. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to ventilate and the woman received oxygen therapy for smoke inhalation.

“The fire started after the lady had discarded her cigarette amongst other household waste. She then went to bed but soon heard her smoke alarm activating and discovered the fire in the kitchen.

“We would like to remind anyone who does smoke in their home to ensure smoking materials are discarded of appropriately and are not put near to or inside anything where other items can catch fire. You might think it is out but it could still ignite combustible materials.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements
Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.