A warning has been issued to residents after a series of kitchen fires across Lichfield and Burntwood.

The incidents happened at Schoolfields Road in Shenstone, Baker Street in Chasetown and Bloomfield Crescent in Lichfield, in the space of three days (February 25-27).

And now firefighters are calling on householders to take extra care to avoid accidents in the kitchen.

Lichfield’s risk reduction coordinator, James Hettihewa-Young, said:

“We would urge members of the public to never leave cooking unattended and always remember to turn off cooking appliances after use. Unfortunately the fires caused extensive smoke damage to some of the properties.

“These incidents highlight how dangerous kitchen fires can be and how easily they can escalate. If you do experience a fire in the home please get out, stay out and call 999.”


Founder of Lichfield Live and editor of the site.