The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Pancake safety warning for people in Lichfield and Burntwood

People in Lichfield and Burntwood are being urged to enjoy their Shrove Tuesday pancackes in safety.

The warning comes from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service who say that more more than half of accidental house fires are caused by cooking accidents.

Ian Sloss, head of risk reduction at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said:

“Shrove Tuesday means fun in the kitchen for adults and children alike however the novelty and excitement of making pancakes often makes people less cautious with their cooking.

“A common scenario involves families tucking into their delicious freshly made pancakes, forgetting that they have left their frying pan on the hob, burning away. If this does happen to you and the pan catches fire, switch off the heat, if it is safe to do so. Then get out, closing the door behind you and call 999.

“We would urge people to check that they have turned appliances off when they have finished using them and never leave cooking unattended – stay in the kitchen until you are finished and then switch off the appliance you have used.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.