The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Woman dies in Lichfield house fire

A woman has died after a house fire in Lichfield.

The 49-year-old was killed in the blaze at her home on Thacker Drive last night (May 23).

A neighbour saw smoke coming from the house and called 999 before attempting to rescue the woman with another local resident.

The men entered the property three times but they were unable to reach the bedroom where the woman was trapped.

Phil McFarlane, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Lichfield area commander, said:

“This was a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the family of the lady who has sadly lost her life. On our arrival, crews from Lichfield, Chase Terrace and Tamworth were faced with a severe fire on the first floor of a three-storey detached property.

“We understand two neighbours had entered the property and attempted to locate the occupier but were unable to reach her due to the heavy smoke and flames. Whilst we do not encourage entering a property when there is a fire, their actions were certainly brave and they tried not once, but three times to rescue the lady.

“The fire started in the bedroom and has destroyed the room as well as causing severe heat and smoke damage throughout the property. Once the fire was extinguished, a joint fire and police investigation took place.

“We believe that the most likely cause of the fire was a cigarette, it would appear the woman had been smoking in bed.”

Detective Sgt Kiley Round, from Staffordshire Police, added:

“Our officers attended the scene and liaised with fire investigators. We are not treating the fire as suspicious and are preparing a report for Her Majesty’s Coroner. Our sympathies are with the woman’s family following this tragic incident.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements
Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.