Lichfield and Burntwood residents are being urged to make sure their electric blanket is safe to use by bringing it to a free testing session.
Two testing events have been organised and any blankets that fail will be disposed of, but anyone over 60 will be offered a brand new single or double under-blanket as a replacement.
The sessions will take place on:
- September 12 at Lichfield Fire Station between 10am and 12.30pm, and 2pm and 4pm.
- September 13 at Chase Terrace Fire Station between 10am and 12.30pm.
Alternatively, people can take their blankets to drop-off points at the following venues:
- Burntwood Library on September 10 between 9.30am and 4pm and collect them on September 13 between 9am and 7pm.
- Norton Canes Library on September 12 between 2pm and 6pm and collect them on September 15 between 9am and 7pm.
- Burntwood Live At Home Scheme by calling 01543 674257 (no specific drop off date, just a collection date needed).
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service risk reduction manager David Steele said:
“Nationally, thousands of electric blankets are found to be faulty which could lead to a fire, so ensuring yours is safe is really important. We find that a lot of people fold up their electric blankets when they’re not in use, however this damages the internal wiring, making them dangerous.
“We will be doing the testing throughout September and early October as people generally start pulling out their blankets towards the end of September, once the temperatures start to drop and the nights start drawing in.”
County Councillor Pat Corfield added:
“Staffordshire County Council takes public safety very seriously and faulty electric blankets pose a real safety hazard. It’s important that people have their blankets tested regularly, so why not come along to one of our free testing sessions? Older people in particular can benefit as they will be given a free blanket if their old one is unsafe. In 2010 almost 2,000 blankets were tested throughout Staffordshire with nearly 40% failing the safety test – highlighting the importance of these sessions.”
For enquiries about electric blanket testing, call 0800 0241 999.