Chris Peel on the ball for Chasetown. Pic: Dave Birt
Chris Peel on the ball for Chasetown. Pic: Dave Birt

Goalkeeper Ryan Price was sent off as Chasetown FC crashed out of the Staffordshire Senior Cup 3-1 at Rocester.

A fairly slow-paced start in slippery conditions saw the first chance go to the hosts with Price getting down low to save Chris Sterling’s shot.

Chris Owen’s charge down the left was halted by Jack Farmer for a corner which was headed out by Jimmy Turner, but the ball was played back in by the Romans and Price snatched away Ashley Justin’s header.

Farmer was on hand again to head out Rob Perks’s free kick on 15 minutes, and a further free kick from Jack Langston was poked wide by Darren Bullock as the hosts continued to look strong.

Chasetown penalty appeals were turned down when Levi Reid appeared to be pulled down when through on goal, and the Scholars were struggling to create chances against a lively Romans side who were enjoying the better of the damp conditions.

On 32 minutes the hosts took the lead when Price spilled a corner and the ball was headed home from close range with some confusion over the scorer but Mensah Kinch was credited with the goal.

Price would make a further mistake in the closing minutes of the half and Farmer’s attempted clearance was intercepted by Owen but his shot went wide to spare the Scholars’ blushes.

The very first attack of the second half saw Rocester break forward and double their lead with Sterling curling home his second goal over the hapless Price.

Chasetown fought back and a succession of shots from Linden Dovey and Dean Perrow were blocked by the home defence, while Dovey’s effort to latch onto a long ball from the defence saw home keeper Richard Froggatt beat him to the ball.

Lee Wright fails to get to the ball as Rocester scramble it away. Pic: Dave Birt

On 72 minutes controversy kicked in as Price brought down Sterling as he bore down on goal and a penalty was given with Price shown a red card despite the challenge appearing to be outside the area to many onlookers.

Skipper and former Scholar Paul McMahon’s kick just evaded the diving Matty Cohen, who had taken Price’s place between the sticks, and nestled in the corner of the net for Rocester’s third.

Chasetown pulled one back in response to their latest setback when Lee Wright sent in a cross from the left and Dovey was in position to tap home at the near post.

The strike back was in vain however, and a clear chance for Mark Hands in stoppage time went begging as his shot went wide and Rocester progressed to the semi finals.

Chasetown now get ready to face Ashton United in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League this Saturday (3pm).

Rocester: Froggatt, Justin, Perks, D McLeod, McComisky, Bullock, Kinch, Langston, Sterling, McMahon (c), Owen. Subs: Milner (D McLeod 72), Littler, Martin (Kinch 79), Knight (McMahon 84), K McLeod.
Chasetown: Price, Farmer, Peel, Slater (c), Turner, Cohen, Smith, Stride, Dovey, Perrow, Reid. Subs: Birch, Hands (Smith 52), Robinson, Westwood (Reid 79), Wright (Farmer 62).

Click below to view more of Dave Birt’s pictures from this game.