The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Firefighters issue winter warming warning to Lichfield and Burntwood residents

People living in Lichfield and Burntwood are being reminded to consider fire safety as they look to heat their homes during cold spells in 2012.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a number of incidents in December caused by heating appliances, open fires and chimneys – and it is hoping there is no repeat of the six fatal fires which happened last year as a result of heating equipment.

Head of risk reduction Ian Sloss said: “Unfortunately we had six fatal house fires last year where heating equipment was being used including a fire caused by a convector fan heater and clothes catching fire from a gas and an open fire.

“We’d urge people to take extra care when using portable heaters and open or gas fires by not getting too close to them and by keeping flammable materials, such as clothes and curtains, a safe distance away.

“Fire guards should also always be used in front of open fires and chimneys and flues should be kept clean and well maintained.

“In particular at this time of the year, it’s really important to consider the elderly, who are often more likely to feel the cold and may be more reliant on portable heaters and open fires.

“If you are elderly, or know of someone elderly who hasn’t received a free home fire risk we’d urge you to get in touch on our freephone number 0800 0241 99, so we can arrange a visit by our firefighters or

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.