The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Match report: Chasetown FC Reserves 4 Rugeley Rangers 0

Drew Aiton celebrated his return to action for Chasetown FC Reserves as he bagged a brace and sank Rugeley Rangers’ hopes of progressing to the next round of the Staffs County Cup.

Jordan Archer and Courtney Sowe also contributed as the holders marched into the last four of the competition.

It was Aiton who opened the scoring on 20 minutes. He charged at the Rangers defence and picked out Jordan Archer who was closely marked with his back to goal. Archer turned, before foiling his markers to create a one and one with the Rangers keeper until he was chopped down from behind. Referee Robert Butler was spared the responsibility of awarding a penalty and dismissing the guilty party when Aiton hammered home the loose ball.

Rugeley gallantly searched for the equaliser and created a string of opportunities to level things out. Within two minutes Tom Wright had an ideal prospect to level as he was played in by defender Matthew Simms. Fortunately Mark Wiggins did just enough by narrowing the angle, forcing the winger to shoot widely into the side netting.

Wright fashioned another opportunity on the half hour mark, testing Wiggins from 25 yards who dived low to his right to collect. Neil Hill was next to fail from close range and Ashley Andrews highlighted the visitors’ inaccuracy when he missed the target with a glorious chance.

It’s an old cliché’ but football is all about taking your chances. To put it simply Rugeley didn’t and Chasetown did. Jonathan Gould turned Hill inside out near the corner flag and his subsequent cross landed at the feet of Drew Aiton who let loose an unstoppable strike to secure his brace.

This knocked the fight out of the visitors who could only look back on what could have been.

Archer scored his goal four minutes before the break with an effective lob leaving keeper Adam Hill stranded. But it all started off when Craig Deakin dispossessed winger Mark Jones, timing his tackle to perfection before finding Matthew Wood in the middle of the park. Wood’s quick reaction pass fell just right for Archer to kill Rangers’ fading hopes.

To their credit, Rangers continued to play with genuine spirit and early into the second period Andrews slipped the ball to Wright but his attempt trickled off target. Then the impressive Hill linked up with Wright whose shot was tamed by Wiggins and the visitors’ bad luck continued when Ashley Andrews just missed minutes later.

Chasetown, realising they were as good as in the semi-finals, tightened up at the back and started to control the play. Tom Brown almost hit the target with an ambitious drive mid way through the half and Chad Degville also went close.

Degville then supplied Drew Aiton in the box who cleverly flicked the ball sidewards only to see his attempt swerve inches wide.

David Leese was introduced on 72 minutes and hit the bar from a corner. Then ten minutes later he delivered a pin point cross for Courtney Sowe to head home Chasetown’s fourth of the afternoon.

It’s back to league football next week as the Scholars Reserves have two consecutive away days at Oadby and Highgate Utd respectively.

Chasetown: Wiggins (c), Deakin, Sowe, Wood (Darby), Hulin, J Aiton, Degville, Brown, D Aiton, Archer (Alalade), Gould (Leese).

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!