Don’t miss out!

Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.

Chasetown FC were unlucky to leave Chorley empty-handed as they went down to a 3-2 defeat despite a fighting performance. The Scholars were first to show with skipper Gary Birch forcing a corner on three minutes before the visitors took the lead on 17 minutes. Danny Quinn was fouled in the area and a penalty was awarded with Mark Branch continuing his recent accuracy from the spot as he fired the ball down the middle to put the Scholars ahead.
Chasetown FC goalkeeper Lee Evans is beaten by Steve Foster. Pic: Dave Birt
Their lead was shortlived however as four minutes later a clearance was sent back into the area and Ciaran Kilheeney smashed the equaliser home, Matt Walwyn then close to giving Chorley the lead but Lee Evans produced a fine save to push his effort round the post. On 31 minutes Kilheeney played through Steve Foster and he hammered a shot into the roof of the net to put the Magpies in front. The home defence continued to live dangerously, conceding a free kick two minutes before the break but Branch’s effort was halted by keeper Russ Saunders. Chasetown would find an equaliser on 63 minutes when Branch’s cross was met by Quinn who produced a fine right-footed volley to draw the Scholars level. Birch found two further chances with Saunders off his line but one went wide and the other over the bar, while Quinn also caught Saunders off line but again he could not find the target, his shot flying wide as the keeper scrambled back. With eight minutes to go Birch thought he had been fouled in the area and picked up the ball, but the whistle had not blown and in the confusion Chorley were awarded a penalty which was converted by Foster who fired wide of Evans to steal the win for the hosts leaving Chasetown frustrated but able to take plenty of positives from their performance. The Scholars now face two local derbies in three days, first taking on Hednesford Town on Easter Monday (3pm) before facing Rushall Olympic in the semi-final of the Walsall Senior Cup on Wednesday (7.45pm). Chorley: Saunders, Ross, Walwyn, Teague (c), Russell, Roscoe, Denham, Flitcroft, Kilheeney, Foster, Ince. Subs: Williams (Denham 70), Brown, Parillon (Flitcroft 77), Cunliffe (Walwyn 56), Bowen. Chasetown: Evans, Farmer, M Branch, Slater, Charlton, Hands, Quinn, Lycett, Birch (c), Perrow, Pitt. Subs: Turner, Teesdale, Bridgewater, Wright (Hands 87), Archer.