The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Lucky escape for Lichfield mother and son after kitchen fire

A Lichfield mother and son had a lucky escape after a fire in their home.

Firefighters were called to the house in Stowe Street at around 1.20pm on Sunday afternoon (August 12) after cooking had been left unattended.

The man managed to shut the door to the kitchen before he and his mother left the property.

Station manager Jim Bywater said: “It was very lucky that the man and his mother managed to get out safely, as he was not in the kitchen when the food caught fire and only realised a fire was in progress when he smelled smoke.

“The property did have two smoke alarms fitted however the batteries had been removed from both, so they did not work.

“It is essential to have working smoke alarms otherwise you may not realise there is a fire before it’s too late. We will come and fit smoke alarms free of charge and all we ask in return is that you test them once a week to make sure they’re working.

“If you have any problems with smoke alarms that we have fitted, or that you have fitted yourself, you can call us for free advice on 0800 0241 999 and if required, we will arrange to come out to your property and ensure you’re as safe as possible from fire.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.

1 Comment

  1. N

    15th August, 2012 at 10:42 am

    Cooking with the “sun” is always going to be dangerous…