The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Nick Wellecomme double helps Chasetown FC to all three points

Nick Wellecomme puts Chasetown in front. Pic: Dave Birt

Nick Wellecomme puts Chasetown in front. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC were good value for the three points at a sun-baked Scholars Ground.

Lincoln came into this match with three league defeats and 15 goals conceded and it was clear from Chasetown’s opening that they were keen to get at their struggling visitors.

A fingertip save from Phil McGann denied Simon Brown after just five minutes, leading to one of many early corners as Chasetown turned the screw on their visitors.

Neat, high tempo passing gave Chasetown supporters plenty to cheer and it seemed only a matter of time before the deadlock was broken. Andy Westwood volleyed just wide in the eighth minute and then Gary Hay drove a right-footed effort wide of the upright a minute later.

The opener finally came just after the half hour. Simon Brown curled in a peach of a cross from the right wing and Nick Wellecomme headed goalwards. McGann got his hands to it, but the power was too much.

Three minutes later, Wellecomme had a golden opportunity to make it 2-0 but rattled the crossbar with a fierce shot which had McGann beaten all ends up.

The Scholars lost Gary Hay a minute before the half-time interval. His replacement Paul Sullivan was quickly into the action after the break and his accurate cut-back from the bye-line was blocked by Lincoln’s Sean Wright as Dave Bate was about to pull the trigger.

Wright had a half-chance for Lincoln in the 55th minute which he put wide in a rare attack for the visitors.

Chasetown doubled their advantage in the 57th minute. Simon Brown was again the provider with a short pass which deflected into Wellecomme’s path and the number nine side-footed home from six yards. Lincoln appealed for offside but to no avail.

Lincoln gave Craig Harris’ men a scare in the 66th minute when Ben Garrick found some space and slid the ball past the advancing Ryan Price. Price was making his 200th appearance for Chasetown but was unable to add to his 68 previous clean sheets.

Brown was the catalyst for much of what Chasetown were doing well and teed up Andy Westwood in the 71st minute, only for Westwood’s header to be gathered by McGann.

Andy Westwood curls in to put the result beyond doubt. Pic: Dave Birt

Andy Westwood curls in to put the result beyond doubt. Pic: Dave Birt

Four minutes later, however, Chasetown wrapped up the three points. Again, the initial move started down the right with Simon Brown and when the ball reached Andy Westwood the teenager’s right foot shot took a slight deflection to loop beyond McGann to seal a comfortable home win – Westwood’s first goal for the senior side.

Nineteen-year old Paul Sullivan again impressed as a substitute and was inches away from capping his performance with a fourth goal. Sullivan nipped in past Lincoln right back Terry Fleming and coolly chipped McGann but saw the ball float narrowly over the crossbar.

Westwood headed wide from another Brown cross, before Brown made way for debutant Tyrone Clarke-O’Connell. The former Tipton man almost marked his debut with a goal. He cut in from the right wing and fed Wellecomme who picked his moment and coolly back heeled the ball to Clarke-O’Connell who drove a low shot across the six yard box and wide of McGann’s right hand post.

Chasetown: Price, Richardson, Branch, Slater, Bate, Teesdale, Westwood, Saunders (Maguire, 73 mins), Wellecomme, Hay (Sullivan, 44 mins), Brown (Clarke-O’Connell, 86 mins) Subs not used: Jackson, Evans.
Lincoln United: McGann, Fleming, Butler, McDaid, Wright, Hone, Melton, Cowan (King, 69 mins), Zuerner (Rowe, 77 mins), Garrick (Hempenstall, 73 mins), Funnell. Subs not used : Curtis, Oakley.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.