The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Repair work begins on footbridge at former Hammerwich Railway Station

Workers repairing the Hammerwich Station footbridge. Pic: SouthStaffsRail

Workers repairing the Hammerwich Station footbridge. Pic: SouthStaffsRail

The footbridge at the site of the old Hammerwich Railway Station is being repaired.

Work has started to replace bolts and pins that support the wooden steps and to repair beams by welding new steel to the structure.

The bridge’s makeover has been on the cards for three years after a report was produced calling for Network Rail to include upkeep of the footbridge in its regular maintenance cycle.

The station at Hammerwich was opened in 1849 by the South Staffordshire Railway Company and was one of the stations which formed the Walsall to Wychnor South Staffordshire line. It continued to be used by passengers until January 1965 when the Wolverhampton – Burton service was withdrawn and the line’s stations -except Lichfield City – closed to passengers.

The full line continued for freight traffic until 1986, and then only a stretch of track was left from Lichfield to Newtown (North Brownhills) for tanker trains serving the Charringtons Oil Terminal which closed in 2001. The Anglesea sidings branch was then mothballed, meaning that although the line is not used, Network Rail is responsible for the upkeep of the infrastructure and land.

For more information about the line and its history, as well as pictures of Hammerwich station, visit

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.