Theo Robinson’s opener finds the net. Pic: Dave Birt
Chasetown FC returned to winning ways with an emphatic 6-1 victory over their Staffordshire rivals Kidsgrove Athletic. The Scholars took just five minutes to go ahead with a well-worked goal. Scott Rickards and Nick Wellecomme combined to set up Danny Smith who could easily have shot himself but instead picked out Theo Robinson, who netted his first senior goal for the club from inside the six yard box. Chasetown’s second goal came just five minutes later. Kidsgrove keeper David Dyson made a superb fingertip save to deny Mark Branch, but his corner was met by Danny Ashton and his header was adjudged to have crossed the line before team-mate Smith made sure the ball went into the net. No sooner had the second goal gone in, but the home side were in dreamland with a third goal a minute later. Following a back pass, Dyson’s clearance was driven straight into Nick Wellecomme who had charged him down and the ball spun into an unguarded net.
Nick Wellecomme makes it 4-0. Pic: Dave Birt
Kidsgrove’s Liam Shotton struck the crossbar in the 17th minute, but the game was still one-way traffic and Chasetown were looking to kill the game off before the interval. Midway through the half, Dyson made a full stretch save to deny a drive from David Bate from outside the area, which was probably a better save than the one he produced to keep out Branch. From the resultant corner, Theo Robinson went close to adding his second with a header narrowly over the crossbar. The chances kept coming thick and fast. Wellecomme was inches wide of the post after being set up by Danny Smith, while Robinson fired over from the edge of the penalty area. Smith, who was one of many candidates for Man of the Match, was a whisker way from a goal himself, with a shot from distance which deflected wide for a corner. Chasetown started the second half as they had played throughout the first. Ashton almost doubled his tally with a low shot which had Dyson scrambling. Wellecomme got his second and Chasetown’s fourth in the 51st minute. It looked as if Kidsgrove’s defence were in a good position to clear the ball but Wellecomme kept hassling, eventually robbing the visiting backline on the edge of the box before driving beyond an unprotected Dyson.
Scott Rickards lobs the keeper to net Chasetown’s sixth goal. Pic: Dave Birt
Three minutes later, Smith was a whisker away from the goal he would have richly deserved, but although Dyson was beaten, the post was not and Wellecomme completed his hat-trick, bundling the ball over the line from close range. It was now just a question then how many Chasetown would score. After a persistent hail shower slowed the pace of the game down a bit, Ashton went close to his second and then Wellecomme perhaps should have added his fourth when he headed over a Rickards cross. In the 70th minute, Rickards was clean through on goal but instead of firing home the sixth, he chose to be unselfish and set up a team-mate but the chance was snuffed out. Chasetown did net the sixth goal with ten minutes remaining. Rickards scored with an exquisite chip over Dyson. If there was a disappointment to the perfect afternoon it was that Chasetown were unable to keep a clean sheet, with Kidsgrove’s Andy Kinsey notching a consolation goal in the final minute after Ryan Price had earlier made an outstanding save to deny Kinsey from a free-kick. Chasetown: Price, Downes, Branch, Farmer, Bate, Teesdale, Rickards, Ashton (Saunders, 71 mins), Wellecomme (Clarke-O’Connell, 83 mins), Smith (Tulloch, 80 mins), Robinson. Subs not used: Bryan, Jackson. Kidsgrove Athletic: Dyson, Vernon (White, 84 mins), Sherratt, Taylor, Parkinson, Dove, Reaney (Nagington, 64 mins), Hill, Shotton, Kinsey, Griggs (Johnston, 66 mins). Subs not used: Matranga, Street. Click below to see more of Dave Birt’s pictures from the game: