Police say dead Lichfield man’s gun may have accidentally gone off

Police say they believe a Lichfield man who died while out hunting may have been killed when his gun went off accidentally.

West Mercia Police say 30-year-old Carl Conrad Rubisch suffered a gunshot wound in a field in Brockton, Shropshire on Friday evening (April 5).

Det Insp Mark Bellamy said: “It would appear the victim’s own gun accidentally discharged, resulting in the fatal injury.”

1. Cynic

9th April, 2013 at 11:28 pm

My condolences to the family.
    How can a shot gun carried correctly (broken) go off by accident?
    If it is put down it is first broken and unloaded – how can it go off?

2. Some Bloke

10th April, 2013 at 12:09 am

Oh, I don’t know Mr Cynic. Maybe the Police, who have investigated, and seen evidence, don’t have a clue, and are probably waiting for you to come with a few queries to help them out a bit.
    Have a bit of respect.

3. Cynic

10th April, 2013 at 12:43 am

“Some Bloke” Knowing how accidents occur help us to stop future accidents.
    That’s why we have enquiries for all major accidents and also Coroners Inquest.
    I did not realise it is now disrespectful to ask questions .
    Should we just accept what the police tell us?
    Those days have long since gone for some of us!

4. david

12th April, 2013 at 1:57 am

Note to cynic. It wasn’t a shotgun it was a .22 rifle. I hunt myself and can tell you that when hunting rabbits you have the rifle loaded and ready to shoot, otherwise the cocking of the bolt may frighten away your quarry. I also live in lichfield so I feel a little more saddened. God bless and my heart goes out to his family.

5. Cynic

12th April, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Thank you David. However, I think you will agree, there are safety rules which do apply in a similar manner for rifles/firearms.
    I will leave it at for now as I feel sure the shooting organisations will report on this after the C.R.

6. david

26th April, 2013 at 2:17 am

Cynic. This guy was using a .22 rifle, you are talking about shotguns, they are completely different.

7. Cynic

26th April, 2013 at 10:43 am

David – I think I acknowledged that. Are you suggesting there are not similar safety rules for rifles? They are not broken like a shotgun but they still have to(should) be made safe when crossing/negotiating obstructions – or are you suggesting most riflemen do not bother with such rules?
    I hope all concerned understand we are debating generally – not this case in particular.