The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Lichfield man injured after burner explodes in his home

A Lichfield man has been injured after a burner exploded in his house.

Firefighters were called to his home on Nelson Close at 8pm on Wednesday (April 17) after a table-top Bio Ethanol burner ignited while being refuelled.

The man suffered burns and was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham for treatment.

“This accident involved a decorative Bio Ethanol burner placed on a table,” said station manager Toby Wilson. “The burner had been lit earlier in the evening but then appeared to have gone out.

“As the man squirted fuel into the pot, there was a loud bang and he and the room were showered with burning fuel.

“This type of modern decorative burner has a naked flame fuelled by Bio Ethanol liquid or gel and is becoming increasingly popular among homeowners.

“However, I am warning people never to underestimate the hazards of this extremely flammable type of fuel. It should be treated with the highest level of caution and always be used according to the manufacturer’s instructions and safety advice.

“It is especially important to position the burner away from combustible materials such as curtains as the fuel can burn without a visible flame.”

The warning about the burners comes after a Uttoxeter woman died in June 2012 after a fire caused by a Bio Ethanal heater.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements
Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.