Lichfield MP brands Thatcher funeral protesters “sad lonely tossers”

Michael Fabricant MP

Michael Fabricant MP

Lichfield’s MP has described people who booed during the funeral procession for Margaret Thatcher as “sad lonely tossers”.

Michael Fabricant was among the mourners at the service for the former British Prime Minister.

There had been fears that protesters could interrupt the procession through London, but the majority of the crowd lining the streets applauded as the coffin passed.

However Conservative MP Mr Fabricant took to his Twitter account to criticise the minority who chose to protest on the day of the funeral:

The Lichfield MP described the service itself as “moving” and admitted that he had been “choked up” during it.

“Pride in my country and pride in what Margaret Thatcher achieved,” he added.

1. Jeff David

17th April, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Pot and kettle?

2. Darryl

17th April, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Asinine tweet.

3. Sabcat

17th April, 2013 at 3:00 pm

From what I could see on the TV coverage the sad lonely tossers were the people who came out in support. More coppers than mourner. Tories, believing their own hype as usual.

4. Jozef Nakielski

17th April, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Applauded that she was dead obviously

5. Macdhomhnaill

17th April, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Why do we still have Guy Fawkes night? A King who turned his back on his nation “The Scots” as we know him to have done. If that’s ok to burn Guy Fawkes or the as it was the pope then, it is ok for have a party for Maggie #worksbothways

6. Jozef Nakielski

17th April, 2013 at 3:30 pm

for firework displays obviously..

7. johnthemon

17th April, 2013 at 4:42 pm

This is only our MP Michael Fabricant trying to get a little more mileage out of this event, by all accounts the Iron Lady was twice the man than any other Conservative could hope to be.

8. Rachel

18th April, 2013 at 9:09 am

maggie stuck up for the workers; people who wanted to make a living and that is shown by the type of people who were being disrespectful. Go, get a job and stop sucking the blood out of those that do work

9. barry the roofer

18th April, 2013 at 9:25 am

This comment has been removed

10. Jozef Nakielski

18th April, 2013 at 11:14 am

stuck up for the workers? which workers? there was non left by the time she’d finished apart from us YTS ers
    people can’t get jobs and stop sucking the blood out of those that do work because AGAIN there’s no jobs left in this country, unemployment is up again, and of course its okay because it isn’t more jobs lost, its people that lost their jobs last year and didn’t want to sign that have now signed on. You haven’t a clue and I hope you end up unemployed and losing your home so that you know what its like for the thousands out there that thought they’d never ever in their lives end up unemployed. That’s the problem with kicking people on the way up, you never know when you’ll be joining them again. I have the utmost respect and sympathy for this countries unemployed that don’t want to be reliant on the working or have no choice. You make me angry labeling everyone that’s unemployed as blood suckers.
    I suppose the homeless deserve it too, they deserve to be p on and set fire to. Tis a sad way of looking at your fellow human beings, at your society, your community, your neighbors

11. Pips

18th April, 2013 at 11:58 am

I thought comments on her were to be kept civil. Barry the roofer – your wording is downright offensive.

12. barry the roofer

18th April, 2013 at 12:11 pm

pips I find it offensive that my opinion and freedom of speech has been censored, when I certainly didnt use any foul language or threats.

13. Ross

18th April, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Barry, we took the decision to remove your comment because of one of the phrases within it which we deemed to be foul language.

14. barry the roofer

18th April, 2013 at 1:48 pm

If an MP calling members of the public with an opinion “sad lonely tossers” is acceptable, then surely me calling him a “disgusting vile creature that makes me feel physically sick whenever I see his rancid face” is equally acceptable.
    this whole thread is based on childish name calling.

15. Pips

18th April, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I think you have a selective memory as you have clearly forgotten the obscene word you used in your comment. I think that may have been the reason for the censorship. Most people are able to relay their opinions without using language such as that.

16. SAB2000

18th April, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Rachel – you’re clearly the type of person Maggie would be proud of; selfish, utterly dismissive of anyone who doesn’t have a job and clueless enough to swallow her “them & us” nonsense.

She saw the divisions in this country and shoved dynamite in the cracks. ‘Forget health care, communities, education and housing & give the plebs a tax cut – they’ll lap it up’. This country has never recovered from her 11 years of divide and conquer. She was no leader; leaders lead everyone – not abandon the weakest as she did in places like Grimethorpe and Goldthorpe. If a foreign country had invaded those villages and laid waste to them, she would have sent the SAS straight up the M1. But she levelled those places herself and somehow got away with it.

17. barry the roofer

18th April, 2013 at 2:56 pm

pips I think you are refering to the fact I spelt his name fabric*nt, this wasnt a direct insult in anyway, it was merely a hillarious play on words, but I offer my sincere apologies if it offended you. I dont usually stoop so low as too using swear words and I am ashamed of myself.
    im glad SAB2000 appears to have a functioning brain, I was starting to loose faith

18. johnthemon

18th April, 2013 at 3:28 pm

It is clear our MP Michael Fabricant has achieved what he set out to do (to cause divisions and unrest). Let us not lose sight of the real enemy here, Margret Thatcher is dead and gone, and never to return, but there are plenty of lookalike Tories left out there that would have loved for there to have been a lot more trouble at the funeral, so that they could have used it to their advantage. Let’s not argue amongst ourselves, by doing so we fail to expose the enemy within.

19. Darryl

18th April, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I’ve not really followed MF on Twitter for that long, but in the short time I have done so I have come to opinion that his grasp of social media and how it can connect an MP to the electorate is extremely poor.

Instead of responding to questions raised over the Twitter service, he seems to resort to vilifying anyone who disagrees with his position or party and re-tweeting sycophants who agree.

I can’t think of a single tweet regarding policy or local issue, unless you consider the ‘worlds smallest park’ situation.

There is a gulf between voters and MP’s, especially amongst the younger generation; he could utilise Twitter to engage with the residents of Lichfield, instead of using it as a way for cronies to massage his ego.

20. sue t

18th April, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Why bother even giving this creature credence by replying to his very childish comments , i am so glad this unintelligent guy is not my MP , I might add all this grief pouring by the Tory party is a pathetic show and to remind them that they KICKED out their glorious leader in 1990 , Margaret Thatcher is Dead and gone her legacy will live on for the Historians and for her Tory puppy’s who have no minds of their own ,Mageret Thatcher ruined thousands of lives and made this country a country of, Greedy uncaring selfish people ,

21. Macdhomhnaill

18th April, 2013 at 4:24 pm

What kind of an MP goes around calling people “PRICKS” on twitter?

22. Jeff David

18th April, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Daryl: Spot on! Well said.
    I wondered if he had an intern tweeting for him, until I was reliably informed it was all his own work.
    I wish it was an intern as then the banal, ego-massaging that constitutes his Twitter stream would be excusable.
    As it stands, that Twitter stream is our MP in all his glory.

23. Jozef Nakielski

18th April, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Go, get a job and stop sucking the blood out of those that do work

I find it offensive that people who have been made redundant or laid off are called blood suckers

24. Jozef Nakielski

18th April, 2013 at 8:16 pm

OneDan bayles described me as someone who talks usually nasty nonsense, just because i disagree with him . I’ll remember that when i’m voting

25. stymaster

18th April, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I have to say, it’s nice that at least someone has a more clueless MP than I do.