The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Treble gives Chasetown FC advantage in race for the play-offs

Simon Brown scores from the penalty spot. Pic: Dave Birt

Simon Brown scores from the penalty spot. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC moved two points clear of Halesowen and three ahead of Sutton Coldfield with a convincing second half display in their 3-0 win at Mickleover Sports.

Sutton could close the gap when they take on Carlton Town tonight (April 24).

After a minute’s applause for former manager Larry Percival who passed away at the weekend, Chasetown set about tightening their grip on their newly-acquired play off place.

Nick Wellecomme heads the ball home. Pic: Dave Birt

Nick Wellecomme heads the ball home. Pic: Dave Birt

Paul Sullivan tested Joe McCormack early on with a shot which bobbled and the home keeper did well to hold on.

It was at the other end though where the first clear cut goal scoring chance came – an instinctive first time shot from Nathan Benger which was acrobatically palmed over by Ryan Price at full stretch.

Sullivan tested McCormack again, but in an otherwise stop-start scrappy first half, there was nothing much to report until just before the half-time break. Sports’ defender Michael Williams handled the ball after seemingly being shoved in a penalty area melee and the referee’s whistle blew to point to the penalty spot.

McCormack guessed right and got his hands on the ball but the ferocity of Simon Brown’s spot kick was too much for him and Chasetown edged in front in a half they barely deserved to.

Price kept out Rhys Sharpe at his near post at the start of the second half but the visitors gradually took over as the half progressed.

Greg Downes (12) celebrates finding the net. Pic: Dave Birt

Greg Downes (12) celebrates finding the net. Pic: Dave Birt

Nick Wellecomme’s excellent defence-splitting pass found Brown and his low drive was brilliantly kept out McCormack at his right hand post.

On 70 minutes, from Brown’s corner Danny Bragoli’s effort was matched by another top save from McCormack. There was no such luck for McCormack from the second corner though as Wellecomme powered home at the near post from Brown’s kick.

Sports’ Sam Berry saw red for a second yellow card for the home side as The Scholars capitalised on their dominance.

Seven minutes from time, Chasetown extended their lead further when Brown cut into the penalty area, out-pacing his defender and dinked the ball up to the far post where substitute Greg Downes guided a header beyond McCormack.

The visitors ended with ten men themselves as Simon Brown picked up a slight injury and sat out the last couple of minutes as news came in that Halesowen had drawn 1-1 with fourth-placed Stamford.

Mickleover Sports: McCormack, Berry, Guy (Webster, 33 mins), Williams, Pheasant, Wood (Steadman, 26 mins), Smythe, Grocott, Benger, Ritchie-Smith, Sharpe. Subs not used: Hind, Farthing, O’Brien.
Chasetown: Price, Slater, Jackson, Westwood, Tesfa Robinson, Teesdale, Butler (Downes, 75 mins), Bragoli, Wellecomme (Harris, 85 mins), Sullivan (Smith, 80 mins), Brown. Subs not used: Theo Robinson, Birt.

Click below to see Dave Birt’s pictures from the game:

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.