New police commander appointed for Lichfield and Burntwood

Inspector Rachel Joyce

Inspector Rachel Joyce

Lichfield and Burntwood have a new local policing commander.

Inspector Rachel Joyce was previously a detective inspector in Staffordshire Police’s investigative services department.

Assistant Chief Constable Julian Blazeby said: “The local commanders will work closely with communities and partners to deal with what matters to them.

“They will be the recognisable and visible faces leading local policing from right across the county and city, across each council area in Staffordshire.

“They will be responsible for ensuring the best possible service to our communities and preventing crime and disorder.”

1. Cynic

6th September, 2013 at 9:23 pm

“They will be the recognisable and visible faces ”

“VISIBLE” – Do the police use the same definition of “VISIBLE” as seen in the respected dictionaries?

Perhaps we could start a sort of competition , if you have a lot of patience , like spotting the first swallow!

2. Cynic

8th September, 2013 at 12:23 am

A story in today’s paper – apparently the police found a man walking around Buckingham Palace gardens.
    Pointed their guns at him and told him to put his hands up and lie on the ground .
    Is it true the man said “I am Prince Andrew” and they said “Andrew who?”

Don’t laugh – we are told the police represent a cross section of the public and as the above happened in LONDON is it likely they have never heard of the Royal family and do not know what/who they are protecting?
    You know the saying – you get what you pay for!

I might get a record number of reds for this – but I go to bed laughing.

3. Jozef Nakielski

8th September, 2013 at 12:47 am

unfortunately cynic that is the way it is going today, less police mean less visible police presence on the street. However I do feel a recognisable police presence is good, no only at the higher ranks but the lower ones on the street. It helps build a community relationship that can help prevent crime ans help solve crime. Depending on their attitude of course.

4. BrownhillsBob

8th September, 2013 at 12:56 am

Good old-fashioned Cynic dry for attention there…

5. Cynic

8th September, 2013 at 11:15 am

“Jozef” I agree with your comments. There was a time when the police new the people on their patch and the public knew and could talk to the police without appointments!

In the war we had cards with pictures/ silhouette of ships/planes etc which all in the theatre of war had to memorise so the wrong items were not shot at.
    I do realise that they may be a bit sophisticated for todays police but it might help for them to know who they are supposed to be protecting!(still LOL)

6. Rob

8th September, 2013 at 2:17 pm

“The local commanders will work closely with communities and partners to deal with what matters to them.”
    Communities and partners!
    That’s the mantra we usually hear following the regular child-care failures by social services and co.
    I thought the role of the police was to enforce the law, irrespective of what does or doesn’t matter to anyone.

7. Cynic

8th September, 2013 at 3:03 pm

“Communities and partners!” Is that just the latest code for – “We pass the can whenever possible?”

8. Cynic

8th September, 2013 at 4:58 pm

lots of red marks suggesting they disagree with the comments raised but no actual comments showing their point of view.

9. Some Bloke

8th September, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Maybe that’s because your comments are ill thought out and based on ignorance and prejudice Mr Cynic, and not worth developing an argument with.

10. Cynic

8th September, 2013 at 8:35 pm

“Some Bloke” I did not request you comment on my comments but hoped you would have some free thinking and a point of view on the article instead of just disagreeing with me.

11. Cynic

8th September, 2013 at 8:43 pm

“Some Bloke”Good luck to the new LPU Commander. I hope people will support and welcome Inspector Joyce.”

IF I ever see her about I will certainly speak to her – the last one whose name I do not know was never seen by me in town – in the last decade I think I have seen a total of five police persons out side of fast moving cars.

12. BrownhillsBob

8th September, 2013 at 10:18 pm

So, tell me, oh wise one. If you didn’t know who the last LPU Commander was or what their name was, how did you know you never saw them about town?

I don’t live in lichfield and have seen more than five coppers about in the last month…

Bob

13. Rob

8th September, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Cynic doesn’t need to know a public official by name to be able to recognise his/her presence.

14. BrownhillsBob

8th September, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Why, is he psychic? I just pass coppers in the street, I don’t bother taking their ID.

Quite often see the CC of WM on the beat in Brum, same in Walsall.

Bob

15. Rob

8th September, 2013 at 10:49 pm

The police have a symbol of rank, it doesn’t have their name on it.

16. BrownhillsBob

8th September, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Coppers these days have their names on their tunics or above the jacket breast pocket.

Bob

17. Rob

8th September, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I didn’t know that, I haven’t seen one in years.
    I still think the superiors have identifiable markings.

18. Laurence Skermer

8th September, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Rob, Cynic doesn’t need to know anything to bang on about it.

19. BrownhillsBob

8th September, 2013 at 11:00 pm

For those of us on foot, we see a fair few who are on the beat. Always worth getting to know your local rozzers. Surprisingly human, once you get to know them. Oddly, just like ordinary folk, doing a job in difficult circumstances.

Bob

20. Rob

8th September, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Besides other journeys I walk my dog three times a day and I’ve only ever seen them driving by in cars.
    I always think of Harry Enfield for some reason.

21. BrownhillsBob

8th September, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Whatever gets you through the night, old chap. Felicity Kendall used to do it for me.

Bob

22. Darryl

8th September, 2013 at 11:12 pm

This bickering is irrelevant.

I hope this lady does well, she sounds very qualified, I’m more concerned by the PCC. One from a cost perspective and another from an operational slant.

Much has been made of the mission to remove uninsured cars from Staffordshire roads, a laudable mission but a fairly simple one, stick an ANPR car by the side of the road and watch the hits come in.

Violent crime, burglary and other public order/anti-social behaviour, especially the former are far more difficult to detect, yet easily deterred.

I’m not convinced by the PCC or the jingoism politics that seemed to have followed his appointment, the substantial test will come with a reduction in hard to detect crimes like those stated above. Not sitting at the side of the road with cameras.

23. Rob

8th September, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Don’t have a problem getting through the night and Felicity Kendall’s “Fat Coppers” sketch obviously slipped off my radar.

24. BrownhillsBob

8th September, 2013 at 11:17 pm

To be fair, Daryl makes fine points there that would be hard to disagree with. The PCC and deputies thing seems like a total waste of cash, frankly.

Bob

25. Cynic

9th September, 2013 at 1:01 am

“BrownhillsBob”
    “For those of us on foot, we see a fair few who are on the beat.”
    ” how did you know you never saw them about town?”

If you care to look at the staffs data Ellis stated eleven percent of time is spent on the road – perhaps Brownhills is so bad they are all in your road (LOL) – but I should apologise to you because if the commander was dressed incognito / civvies I would not know I had passed that person.
    You have seen and chatted to all those coppers on a regular basis and did not know they have rank insignia – NUFF SED . For the sake of argument and let you win I will concede they probably wear different uniform in Brownhills.

Just an aside – those flats on the A5 near a pedestrian crossing – I used to know it well – is it still the same?

26. Jozef Nakielski

9th September, 2013 at 2:38 am

Those flats have been demolished for 5 yrs !

I’ve only got three criticisms of police. One they concentrate too much on speed and tackle it in the wrong way, however that’s not our on the beat bobbies, it’s a different department.
    Two they tend to ignore smaller crimes and don’t even bother to investigate. I’m sure some of that is down to resources but perhaps thinking it’s unsolvable. Which I can sort of understand. Its a shame because the smaller crimes can hurt us the most.
    They annoy me the way they use mobile phones and press radio mikes on lapels, they also swear at suspects and prisoners and treat them rougher than i think they should. This may or may not happen at Lichfield, it was on tv based in Nottingham that i saw it.
    I can’t say as I’ve been around police much when they’re arresting people because A I’ve never been arrested by police, only via the court system (the court tells you not to turn up then arrests you for not turning up !), I don’t go out to get excessively drunk and annoy people or do damage and I don’t fight.
    B I’m usually chatting to them.

Here we tend to have pcso’s walking around and i do see them often. Its a strange situation in North Warwickshire in that Atherstone in NW used to be with Coleshill in NW. But then Atherstone got put with Bedworth which is the other side of Nuneaton. Nuneaton have their own police station in the courts but we can’t use those. Then we lost the courts and the police station in Atherstone.

I say all that to show what crap they have to put up with. Stations closing, being based miles away, cuts to budgets, less officers, more public being ass holes and getting drunk and disorderly.
    I think they do a good job in the circumstances.

bearing in mind the above. Just in the last two weeks a man from Atherstone disappeared. An appeal was put out by police. Within days he’d been found in Staffordshire. He’d been arrested and charged with several counts of sexual assualt and rape. Considering the distance everyone is here pretty impressed by that. Police in Staffordshire must be on the ball. I think you should be pleased with that you’ve got her.

27. Jozef Nakielski

9th September, 2013 at 2:46 am

On the palace, I’m not sure if you know but it isn’t police that patrol the grounds. Police don’t do patrol duty, they do protection, they get assigned to a person, so I very much doubt that to be true. Security monitor the grounds.
    Army patrol the grounds. They’re the ones with bear skins.
    And if the queen is in residence and you walk on the gravel when she’s in bed you get a right royal rollocking cos it keeps her awake.

28. BrownhillsBob

9th September, 2013 at 8:49 am

Cynic, I know coppers have their rank indicated on their uniforms. It’s just the idea that you clock the rank of every copper you see is implausible. Why would you even bother?

I was talking about seeing coppers in Lichfield. Last time I saw some on the beat was Saturday on the A51 near Quarry Hills Lane. Brownhills cops operate as part of Walsall, not Staffs.

From what I can tell Luchfield cops are OK, and the NPT for Chasetown have been responsive to ASB at Chasewater, quite often pass them there on foot.

Brownhills, thankfully, is a relatively low-crime area on the whole.

The flats at Deakin Avenue went a longtime ago.

Bob