The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Single strike sees Vikings raid Chasetown FC for three points

Ramone Stephens closes down his man. Pic: Pamela Mullins

Ramone Stephens closes down his man. Pic: Pamela Mullins

Goole returned to East Yorkshire with the three points after completing the double over Chasetown FC.

A late goal for the Vikings settled what was a somewhat scrappy encounter at The Scholars Ground.

A fixture littered with free kicks and the trainers being on the field on half a dozen occasions during the 90 minutes was always going to be stop-start and the disrupted flow of the game seemed to make it harder for Chasetown to impose their passing game, which had been greatly improved over the last three games.

It was the Vikings who got the early half chances, with Muhammed Sabu heading straight at Ryan Price from an Anton Foster corner, before William Johnson-Cole attempted a neat through ball to Ryan Williams, only for Price to clear the danger.

It was Goole’s number one, Liam Flynn, who had to make the save of the first half though. Scholars’ striker Paul Sullivan outmuscled two defenders on the edge of the box to create a scoring opportunity for himself. When he finally got a right-footed shot away, it was Flynn’s strong left leg that cleared the chance with the Goole keeper at full stretch.

Five minutes later it was Danny Bragoli stretching to try and turn a Ramone Stephens’ cross goalwards, but he was unable to divert the ball onto the target.

Goole were forced to make a change just after the half hour and it was replacement Stephen Wakefield who tested Price before half time with a low shot through a crowd of players that the home stopper did well to hold.

On the stroke of half-time, Vikings winger Johnson-Cole tried his luck from range and stung Price’s gloves with a shot that was pushed behind for a corner.

Tesfa Robinson heads clear. Pic: Pamela Mullins

Tesfa Robinson heads clear. Pic: Pamela Mullins

Goole almost took the lead at the start of the second half when Price, who was the busier of the two goalkeepers, had to palm the ball onto his crossbar following an effort from Luke Medley.

The visitors took the lead ten minutes from time when a long range shot from Anton Foster was saved by Price low to his left but only into the path of Ryan Williams who netted from close range.

Craig Harris introduced Simon Brown and his impact on the game was almost instant as the Scholars appealed for a penalty when Brown thought he was tripped inside the area with five minutes remaining, but the referee waved away the claims and handed out a yellow card for simulation.

Then in stoppage time, Brown was tripped on the edge of the area and took the free kick himself, blasting a whisker wide of the upright with Flynn rooted to the spot.

Chasetown: Price, Farmer (Tyrone Williams 63 mins), Keenan, Slater, Tesfa Robinson, Halsall, Bennett, Bragoli, Wellecomme, Sullivan (Smith, 73 mins), Stephens (Brown, 81 mins). Subs not used: Westwood, Beckett.
Goole AFC: Flynn, Field, Jackson, Robson (Wakefield, 33 mins), Colbear, Sabu, Taylor, Foster (Cottingham, 85 mins), Medley (King-Bisingu, 62 mins), R Williams, Johnson-Cole. Subs not used: Yates, Tyler Williams.

Click below to see more of Pamela Mullins’ photos from the game:

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.