The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Rollercoaster game sees Lichfield City FC bag a point to extend unbeaten run

Lichfield City FC were made to huff and puff for a point in a six-goal thriller against Blackwood.

Lichfield City FC skipper Todd Perry puts the Blackwood keeper under pressure. Pic: Mick Tyler

Lichfield City FC skipper Todd Perry puts the Blackwood keeper under pressure. Pic: Mick Tyler

The visitors made a mockery of their position at the bottom of the table as they threw a spanner in the works against Paul Holt’s City side at Brownsfield Park.

In a game where the hosts twice took the lead, it took a late goal from substitute Ashley Bennett to rescue a point for Lichfield and stretch their unbeaten run to six games.

The early signs were that City would be in for a fight and it was against the run of play that they took the lead after the visitors had made a bright start. Ashley Evans’ probing run was brought to a halt 25 yards out and Liam Holt expertly bent the ball over the wall to leave keeper Shaun Edwards floundering.

But Blackwood hit back inside three minutes after a good passing move ended with Gareth Evans firing a shot from 18 yards past Craig Johnson in the Lichfield goal.

The visitors continued to press City all over the pitch, with Lichfield’s midfield trio of Holt, Danny Worrall and Daniel McLeod struggling to impose their usual passing game on proceedings.

However, the hosts again bucked the balance of play to retake the lead. Holt once again found himself over a set piece 30 yards from goal and smashed a terrific effort into the top corner to convert his fourth free kick in two games.

Once more Blackwood refused to let the goal blow the wind out of their sails. Danny Rock sliced a clearance against his own bar, while striker Dan Pitt fired wide as the visitors searched for another leveller.

And it was Pitt who eventually found an equaliser when he rose to head home a Jack McEvoy cross to complete an action packed first half-an-hour of play.

The Blackwood goal seemed to spark City into life as they finally got into the game, Evans forcing a superb save from Edwards before Holt was denied a hat-trick when his shot was deflected just over.

Kyle Minto battles for an aerial ball in the box. Pic: Mick Tyler

Kyle Minto battles for an aerial ball in the box. Pic: Mick Tyler

McLeod was next to go close for Lichfield when his goal-bound drive was deflected over by his own skipper Todd Perry.

The second period was more scrappy than the opening half, with City having the better of the play in the early stages without creating many chances of note, while Johnson had to be alert to beat out a free kick at the other end.

But Blackwood stung Holt’s men with 20 minutes left on the clock when Johnson could only parry a free kick into the path of Pitt who fired into an empty net.

The City boss introduced Bennett and striker Olly Budd as his side battled to salvage a point and the changes immediately paid off when Bennett made it 3-3 with ten minutes remaining after a flick on by Kyle Minto allowed him to smash it past Edwards.

A rollercoaster game almost had one more twist when Minto fired across goal, while Blackwood might have felt they could have secured more than just a share of the spoils as Johnson twice made crucial saves.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.