Plans drawn up to refurb parts of Lichfield city centre hotel

The George Hotel

The George Hotel

Parts of a Lichfield city centre hotel could be set for a makeover.

The owners of the George Hotel on Bird Street have put forward an application to Lichfield District Council to make internal improvements.

A refurbishment of the bar and dining area are planned as part of the works.

People can have their say on the proposals via Lichfield District Council’s planning website.

1. Adrian Steele

11th February, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Is it a conincidence that just as we finally get a new decent hotel option in Lichfield city centre (the Premier Inn currently being built), the owners of the George decide to invest something into the building? Its probably too little too late.

2. Sue Pearson

11th February, 2014 at 8:08 pm

A new hotel may be built in Lichfield but we stil want to keep our traditional, historic and classic buildings and want them to thrive and be inkeeping with the wonderful Georgian feel of the town. No one goes site seeing or gets a new experience in a Premier Inn. Of course the owners of the George decide to invest its called competition! Good Luck to the George, Lovely building and lovely staff.

3. FiveSpiresLive

11th February, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Premier Inn is hardly a ‘destination’ hotel; but it’s a shame the George owners couldn’t find a hotel solution for the Angel Croft…

4. BrownhillsBob

11th February, 2014 at 8:45 pm

The Georgian feel of the town? I think about that every time I look in pounland, or stroll through the Dimbles.

5. Some Bloke

11th February, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I love touring the country’s Premier Inn’s! What are you on about 5SL? I would stay in a city or town without one!

As for you, Mr Bob of Brownhills, pop in for a cuppa next time you are on a Dimble’s Lane safari.

6. Darryl

11th February, 2014 at 9:29 pm

@Adrian Steele

a new decent hotel option

Clearly we differ on decent hotels.

7. Russ

11th February, 2014 at 10:19 pm

The George is popular for meals, weddings, functions etc as well as a hotel, and a beautiful building. Perhaps if we look after our traditional buildings and businesses we can escape more ‘Poundland’ scenarios!

8. Joe

12th February, 2014 at 2:14 am

I had a romantic weekend and went sight seeing around milton keynes in a premier in, and very enjoyable it was too. Yes a nice local hotel with character is nice but it’s not essential to be enjoying a visit.
    Good look to the owners of this Local Hotel

9. Louise

12th February, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Last time I was in Lichfield, there was not an establishment called Pounland

10. A Cynical Parody

12th February, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Turn the Garrick into a hotel.
    That’s what local people want and need.
    I’ve slept in the seats plenty of times and they are quite comfortable.

11. Joe

12th February, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I don’t go to poundland, they’re too expensive, I go to 99p stores instead.
    I don’t know how many Lichfield has but I know that Nuneaton has 2 poundlands, one small and one in Marks & spencers old place and a 99p store in Woolworths old place. I much prefer to browse Waterstones though. I could browse for hours. I’d happily go for for a weekend away to a town full of bookshops.

12. Cynic

12th February, 2014 at 11:20 pm

“I’d happily go for for a weekend away to a town full of bookshops.”

You really should get out more – there is a place packed with book shops.

13. Joe

13th February, 2014 at 10:17 am

Is there? and where is that in England Cynic ?

14. tracey stanton

13th February, 2014 at 10:36 am

A beautiful Hotel which could definitely benefit from refurbishment, remembering past experience.