Don’t miss out!

Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.

A woman has been rescued from a flat in Burntwood by firefighters. She had left a pan of pasta on the hob after coming home from a night out. Fire crews were called to the flat on Oak Lane at 9.30am on Sunday (June 1) after a neighbour reported the smoke alarm going off for a number of hours. Firefighters accessed the badly smoke damaged property through a window that had been left open and found the woman asleep in bed. She was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics. Station manager Graham Mills said: “This lady had a very lucky escape – the situation could have had far more tragic consequences. “I would urge people never to attempt to cook after a night out drinking. If you think you will be hungry when you get home, prepare a snack before you go out or stop off at a takeaway. “I would also encourage people to look out for their neighbours. If you hear a smoke alarm going off in a neighbouring property for any length of time, don’t hesitate – call 999. It could literally save someone’s life.”

Ross

Founder of Lichfield Live and editor of the site.