The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Passer-by comes to the rescue of couple after fire breaks out in Chase Terrace

A passer-by has come to the rescue of a Chase Terrace couple when a fire broke out in their home.

He called 999 after hearing smoke alarms going off at the property on High Street last week.

Firefighters say the blaze was caused by an electrical fault while a mobility scooter was on charge.

The couple suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital for treatment.

Station manager Roy Daniels said the Good Samaritan’s quick actions may have saved lives.

“This couple had a very lucky escape and it was fortunate that the passer-by heard the smoke alarms activating and immediately dialled 999,” he said.

“This incident once again demonstrates just how vital it is to have smoke detectors in your home and to check them regularly to ensure that they are working. It also shows the impact you can make by being a good citizen and looking out for some of the more vulnerable members of our community.

“The fire and rescue service had recommended the couple’s home to be fitted with a lifeline system which activated when the smoke alarms went off. This prompted the operators to report the incident to Fire Control just one minute after the initial call had been placed. This type of assistive technology is proving to be a vital in keeping older and vulnerable people safe in their homes.

“I would stress the importance of never leaving electrical appliances on overnight or while you are out of the house, other than those designed to do so such as fridges and freezers.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.