Don’t miss out!

Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.

Barton United came out on top in a physical encounter against Perrywood. It was the third time the two sides had met this season and the Black Swans switched to three at the back early on in an attempt to dominate possession – a move which appeared to be working when a driving run from Dade through the middle saw his shot blocked. Barton, with their tails up, pressed the visiting defenders back without being able to create much more than half chances. The best effort actually fell to Perrywood when a long ball turned the defence and as the striker knocked the ball past the advancing Taylor in goal it seemed inevitable he would score, but his sliced strike sailed harmlessly over the bar. In the second half the Black Swans came out of the traps quickly, pushing Perrywood deeper back into their own half. Andy Lee was released on the right hand side of the penalty area and it took a magnificent save from the visiting keeper to keep the scores level. But the deadlock was eventually broken by Pete Martin when he nipped in to collect a long clearance before lashing home. Barton almost doubled their advantage when Hunt’s free kick crashed against the bar. The visitors began to see red as the game ran away from them and they were reduced to ten men when a stamp on Hunt saw Perrywood reduced to ten men. Meanwhile, Barton’s reserves reached their league cup final for the second year running. They cut it fine though after TL Darby took them to penalties. The Black Swans’ second string took the lead after a corner from Houston dropped nicely for Wczasek at the far post to half volley home. But TL Darby equalised after a free kick was fizzed across the box by Cadd for Hemmings to fire home his side level. Back came Barton as they retook the lead in the second half. Evans floated the ball to the far post for Wczasek to double his goal tally. TL Darby were back level when Hemmings netted from the penalty spot. It looked as though Barton had thrown things away when Hemmings beat the offside trap to make it 3-2. But a long cross from Mole on the right found Evans at the far post and he made a sweet connection to find the top corner and force the game to penalties. Cole was Barton’s hero in the penalty shootout, saving three of the first four while Barton scored all of theirs, with the pick of the bunch being from veteran Rich Lindsay. Barton United Reserves will take on either Coopers FC or Rec FC in the final.