The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Lucky escape for Lichfield family after shed fire spreads to house

A Lichfield family has had a lucky escape after a shed fire spread to to a house.

The incident happened at 11.35pm on Sunday night.

Fire crews discovered that the shed blaze had spread to a kitchen window and inside the house on Stephens Walk.

The family of five were woken by their smoke alarms, while neighbours also tried to tackle the fire with buckets of water and a hosepipe.

Fire Investigation Officer Ian Read said: “The family had a very lucky escape due to the smoke alarm alerting them to the fire.

“We strongly encourage people to make sure they have smoke alarms fitted in their homes and to test them weekly to ensure they work.

“This fire was caused due to a cigarette which hadn’t been fully put out. We urge people to dispose of cigarettes safely and to make sure they are fully extinguished.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.