Don’t miss out!
Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.
Protect our independence - donate now
Our non-for-profit, independent community journalism is produced by volunteers and survives thanks to your regular contributions.
With 12 hours to go until the polls open, Lichfield and Burntwood’s candidates have been invited to make one final plea to voters in their own words.
Below is Liberal Democrat candidate Paul Ray’s eve of the election statement…“This has been a long election campaign with so many messages and numbers banded around. So I want to set out very briefly what we stand for in this election:
- Stronger Economy – Ensuring we balance the budget fairly and invest in a high skill economy.
- Fairer taxes – Cutting income tax further by raising the tax-free allowance to £12,500 by 2020.
- Quality healthcare – The NHS will have the extra £8bn per year it needs and we will make sure mental health is treated on an equal footing with physical health.
- Opportunity for every child – Protecting the education budget from cradle to college.
- Our environment protected – Five new Green Laws to make transport green, commit to a Zero Carbon Britain by 2050, making buildings much more energy efficient.
- Andy Bennetts – Class War
- Michael Fabricant – Conservatives
- Robert Pass – Green Party
- John Rackham – UKIP
- Paul Ray – Lib Dem
- Chris Worsey – Labour