proudly supports

Extra consultation event added for residents to discuss controversial plans to build on Green Belt in Burntwood

An extra consultation event will take place in Burntwood over controversial plans to build homes on Green Belt land.

Lichfield District Council says the Local Plan Allocations session on April 10 has been added due to demand from local people wanting to have their say.

The Old Mining College Centre on Queen Street will host the additional event from 10am to 1pm.

Cllr Ian Pritchard

Cllr Ian Pritchard

Councillor Ian Pritchard, Cabinet member for economic growth, development and environment, said: “It’s important that everyone gets engaged in the planning process and takes a look at our proposals and gives their views.

“We will consider all of the comments as part of the next stage in the process, and then we’ll send them to the independent planning inspector who will inspect the Local Plan Allocations along with any feedback.

“We hope plenty of people will take the opportunity to join us at the events, as they will be a good opportunity to talk through the proposals and find out how to give your views.”

The remaining consultation events are running from 3.30pm to 6.30pm on:

• March 31 at Whittington Village Hall
  • April 3 at The Old Mining College Centre in Chasetown
  • April 4 at Fradley Village Hall
  • April 5 at St John the Baptist Church Hall in Shenstone WS14 0JB
  • April 7 at Armitage & District Royal British Legion Club.

Comments can be given online, where the plans are also available to be viewed. The deadline for responses to the plans is 5pm on May 12.

1. Burntwood First

27th March, 2017 at 11:18 am

Hold on, wait just 1 second.

April 10th, 10am-1pm…. I am right in thinking that this is on a Monday, during standard working hours?

Pritchard : “It’s important that everyone gets engaged in the planning process” & “We hope plenty of people will take the opportunity to join us at the events”.

I see the other events are 3.30pm to 6.30pm, but again, not the best time for working people to have their say.

I know my comment may not be an issue for alot of people, but if you have seen the group of people who have been complaining all this time, you would be how this can be unfair. The biggest objectors to these plans are mostly of the older generation, retired and have an conservation mind-set.

As someone in the younger generation, who would love to be able to live in my own affordable house in Burntwood, I would rather see the possibilities of future housing then an out right no. I work a 9-5 job, I try and stay up-to-date with Burntwood news, but when you set in-week, mid-day meetings that will easily cater to those who do not work in the day, and hold strong opposition views to this, then how will you take me seriously ?

I suppose I’ll have to follow the “Comment Online” link and hope that at least 1 of the more tech-savvy councillors can log on and read it.

2. SB

27th March, 2017 at 11:42 am

Totally agree. I have to laugh at the hypocrisy of those protesting building on burntwood green belt that have homes on hunslet road. Where do they expect younger generations to live?

3. Eric.N.drinkwater

27th March, 2017 at 2:57 pm

I can agree with the comments on timing of meetings and wish there was another way but the writer seems quite adept at expressing themselves so why not write into the consultation? However I do not agree that we should surrender green belt land for the younger generation as serious as the situation is. Many of us in Burntwood had to leave our place of birth and home towns to find accommodation elsewhere and pay the price at the time. Creating an Urban sprawl is not the answer and we must make sure that all brownfield sites across the District have been utilised first before we move Green Belt boundaries

4. Rob

27th March, 2017 at 7:17 pm

The timing’s on a par with the much trumpeted WS7 Our Place/Big Town event held at the Memorial, Wednesday morning, late January, a few years ago, when most people were at work. Shows the thinking of the regulars at these events, as work doesn’t seem to be an inconvenience for them as they gather together to hear the sound of their own voices.

5. SB

27th March, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Had to leave their place of birth? Give over. It’s hardly like ithey had to leave Aleppo! And who wouldn’t choose a new house in Burntwood over inner city Bham? That is such a flawed logic that is 40 years out of date. You are saying you’d be happy for young family’s to leave their home town to just keep burntwood all to yourselves? Now that’s a nice inclusive caring community attitude if I’ve ever heard one from our council leaders. What do you think Mease Ave, Hunslet Rd, Landsdowne Ave etc were before houses were built on them? It was all green fields. But at least the previous generations are sorted with a family home. The young family’s today can continue to struggle.

6. Burntwood First - Under 80's Edition

28th March, 2017 at 8:46 am

I’m going to agree with SB here.

I am not asking you to sacrifice your green belt for no reason. I am a young person, grew up here, and it’s a quite nice place. I enjoy the fact we can commute to Lichfield & Cannock, and that Burntwood is slowly modernising through new shops and new housing(to a point). I 100% agree with you that all brownfield sites should be the #1 target for development.

But for you to give me the attitude of “Screw the young, we were here first” is a disgrace for the council and the older generation. You would rather I leave Burntwood to find a cheaper house up North? Or would you rather I get myself a kid and be put in social housing? Give me a Burntwood I can live in.

All we what to do, as young people, is build a life for ourselves. The older generation has gave us a bad hand (debts, high cost of living, no government support and now no housing/healthcare/ community). You can not seriously believe that Burntwood is going to keep it’s 1930’s village mentality forever. I am not asking for an Urban Sprawl, I just want a place to live in Burntwood.