proudly supports

Chris Worsey confirmed as Labour candidate for Lichfield and Burntwood in the 2017 General Election

Chris Worsey has been confirmed as Labour’s candidate for the 2017 General Election in Lichfield and Burntwood.

Chris Worsey

Chris Worsey

Voters will head to the polls on June 8 after the snap election was called by Theresa May.

Labour will once again turn to Mr Worsey, who came second in the 2015 poll behind Conservative rival Michael Fabricant, to battle it out in this area.

“I’m delighted to be Lichfield’s Parliamentary Candidate again for 2017,” Mr Worsey said. “We built a fantastic team in 2015 and I can’t wait to start campaigning again.”

Mr Worsey said he was keen to bring a number of issues to the fore during the run-up to the election.t

He explained: “I want to use this opportunity to talk about not only local issues but also about some of the issues the political class are failing to address.

“AI and increasing automation is set to decimate middle class jobs, worsening inequality and risking significant political upheaval.

“As a nation we need to start talking about how we deal with this now. We need to test whether a basic income is a good option for the UK.”

In 2015, Labour won 10,200 votes, while the Conservatives won the seat with 28,389.

Mr Worsey is the latest candidate to be confirmed for the 2017 election, after Paul Ray – who won 2,700 votes last time out – revealed he would return to fight the campaign once again, while Mr Fabricant was reselected by the Conservatives last week. The Green Party’s Robert Pass will also stand again this time around.

1. Toast

2nd May, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Ah, he’s back. I’ve been a member of the Labour party since 2015 and haven’t seen or heard a peep out of Chris in Lichfield since he came second to El Fabbo at the last GE.

If you’re going to take on the fame and celebrity of Fabricant then you need to make a LOT of noise. People aren’t going to vote for someone they’ve never heard of and doesn’t live in the city; you’ve got your work cut out for you Chris.

2. Darryl

2nd May, 2017 at 4:46 pm

The utter nonsense that is election boundaries. Not that I’m eager to have Fabbers as my MP, but Pincher is the only candidate I know of for Shenstone, as apparently we come under Tamworth.

3. Ken

2nd May, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Naturally he’s keen to widen the discussion away from local issues – he doesn’t have a clue what they are. The threat posed by AI? THAT’S his top issue?

Is he using John Rackham’s old press officer?

4. Jack Andrea

2nd May, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Will Chris be able to convince me to vote Labour?

5. Rob

2nd May, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Great news.

6. Scott

3rd May, 2017 at 9:23 am

I find myself agreeing with Toast here. I’ve been a labour member for some time, and I have never heard anything from this guy. Being from Burntwood, we do have a strong sense of the Labour party, but this is beyond pathetic.

I understand the National party has said they’d be re-running their last candidates, but christ, why pick a 2015 loser, who hasn’t been an opposition leader for the area.

From Great Barr, has no constituency presence, and then talked about “AI and Automation” as if Lichfield/Burntwood has been plagued by high-tech factories.

Come on Labour…

7. Rob

3rd May, 2017 at 10:16 am

“Being from Burntwood, we do have a strong sense of the Labour party,”
    News to me.

8. K. DIXON

3rd May, 2017 at 10:47 am

So Labour expect support for a candidate with no local knowledge, and no affinity to the area.
    There really isnt an alternative for change.

9. Chris Worsey

3rd May, 2017 at 11:18 am

Toast and Scott, drop me an email chrisworsey@gmail.com and let’s meet up. Would love you to contribute to the campaign.

Cheers,

Chris

10. Luddite

3rd May, 2017 at 11:25 am

Chris sounds a bit luddite to me – I’ll vote for him to stop the progress of technology (hope this telegram gets through…)

11. John

3rd May, 2017 at 11:56 am

I’ll be voting Green. Robert Pass is local and talks a lot of sense.

12. Darryl

3rd May, 2017 at 2:03 pm

On a wider note, ignoring boundaries, I can’t bring myself to vote for Labour, although they’re a natural affiliation for me. How can I vote for a party that campaigned against Brexit then employed a three-line whip against their MPs to force a Conservative bill through.

My vote will go to a remain party.

13. Chris

3rd May, 2017 at 2:29 pm

The only way Labour in Lichfield stood any chance was to field a local candidate to fight on local issues. Probably futile anyway, as last time out showed the people of Lichfield are more than happy to elect a wig on a stick if it is a Tory, but anyone observing political discussion in the area would have seen people care about what is going on here. Stand on a platform of new bogs for the train stations would probably get you half way there.

14. Chris

3rd May, 2017 at 2:30 pm

I do like the new campaign though; “It’s not the immigrants stealing your jobs, it’s the robots”. I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

15. Scott

3rd May, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I’ve never been too sure on where parties stand on Automation. In my eyes it is a great feat of technology. I understand many moan about the loss of jobs, but coupled with a system overhaul, automation could be great for humanity.

Anyway, to stay on point, and follow on. Labour’s views are a huge mess right now. From Brexit to the “triple lock” crap. They are suppose to be an umbrella party of the left, but lately they seem hamstrung in their own politics.

16. Toast

3rd May, 2017 at 2:45 pm

100% agree with comments about supporting someone local to stand for the seat.
    I’d much rather vote for Caroline Wood, Colin Ball or Sue Woodward; Lichfield through-and-through, and the former two are well-known household names around North Lichfield at least.

17. The Scribbler

3rd May, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Battling the rise of the machines seems to be a novel way to launch an election campaign.
    Chris Worsey and John Connor separated at birth?
    I bet no-one has ever seen them together.

Sadly, I can’t see him terminating the Tory – despite the fact that Fabbo is more clown than robot.

In a film franchise full of memorable one-liners, the only John Connor quote I can find from Terminator that seems approapriate is: “We’re not gonna make it, are we? People, I mean.”

18. Sj

4th May, 2017 at 9:39 am

Good grief it’s time we found someone local to stand for Lichfield as our MP ,the clown prince of politics as usual will have the last Laff ,Labour and UKP have brought outsiders in to stand there again I’m guessing that’s down to more embarrassment they can’t find a local to stand ,this city will continue to deteriorate until people who care position themselves on the council and oust national party political agendas ,I mean come on an MP who calls Lichfield ,lichvagas has lost the plot