The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Burntwood RUFC turn on the style to see off Harborne challenge

Burntwood RUFC played some of their best rugby of the season to see off Harborne by eight tries to three.

The contest opened at a fast pace. Ben Holt had already gone close to a try chasing a chip ahead prior to Danny Poole bursting in for the first score off a scrum ten metres out with just four minutes on the clock.

Harborne’s first attack was well defended before Josh Canning, Neil Holden, Luke Rookyard and Poole drove the ball back into the opposition half. When the backs received possession, winger Billy Fisher was brought down just short of the line but Pat Bayliss was up in support to pick up and dive over the line. Aza Dunet added an excellent conversion from wide out for 12-0.

The hosts had the chance to open their account on 17 minutes. Seizing on a Burntwood error in midfield, the outside half broke and drew the last man but his scoring pass was dropped.

Three minutes later, strong runs by Holden and Rookyard took play close to the home line. A couple of drives later, Canning forced his way over wide out on the right. Dunet added the extras in fine style.

Harborne forced their way into the game going into the second quarter. Burntwood defended well until a clearance kick was run back for the hosts to score near the left corner on 25 minutes.

Skipper Sean Latham initiated the move for the bonus point try with a powerful drive over halfway. The three quarters received possession and linked well to put Fisher over in the left corner.

Right on half time, the hosts were scrummaging in front of their own posts. The No. 8 was well tackled and Poole moved the ball left to Rory Newall who went in for a try near the corner flag to make the score 29-5 at the interval.

The second period opened with errors by both sides before the visitors extended their lead on 50 minutes. Rookyard and Holden drove possession close to the line only to be held up. From the subsequent five metre scrum Rookyard made sure of the score this time for 34-5.

Direct from the restart, Newall, Poole and Fisher set up the next scoring opportunity. Their running, passing and support play covered half the length of the pitch. A five metre scrum resulted and Poole was in again for his second try, converted by Newall.

Burntwood’s points’ tally was completed by the hour mark when Poole and Holden exchanged passes to slice though the Harborne defence from halfway. Holden went in for the score. Newall’s conversion attempt rebounded off a post.

With the wide, heavy pitch taking its toll on stamina, coach Jimmy Davies emptied the replacement bench with Rob Jones, Matt Lloyd and Tom Davies involved in the action.

Harborne enjoyed the last quarter of the game and went looking for a try bonus point after their classy outside half profited from Burntwood errors to score two tries, one of them converted. However, a Harborne error at the second restart brought the final whistle.

There is no league game for Burntwood this Saturday. They resume action on November 25 with a run of four M3WN fixtures, beginning with Shrewsbury at home. The 2nds are due to travel to Claverdon for a club fixture this Saturday whilst the colts are at Pinley.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!