Lichfield MP says drop in unemployment shows Brexit doom and gloom is unfounded

Lichfield’s MP says unemployment figures show the economy is still strong despite claims of doom and gloom around Brexit.

Michael Fabricant

Michael Fabricant made his comments after the number of jobless across the Lichfield constituency fell to 0.9%.

The Conservative MP said the numbers gave plenty of reason to be confident of the UK’s future outside of the European Union.

“I have to say, this indicates that the economy is still strong – despite the gloom laden predictions of those who opposed Brexit,” Mr Fabricant said.

“The UK has one of the lowest unemployment rates both for adults and younger people in the whole of the EU.

“The Lichfield constituency is a great place to live and work and has a highly skilled and motivated workforce.”

This area was ranked 56th in the table for lowest unemployment figures based on claimant rate, with the national average standing at 2.5%.

1. Simon Partridge

13th December, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Nonsense. The unemployment figure says nothing at all about the strength of the economy when taken in isolation.

Nor does it say anything useful about the welfare of our society – after all, 60% of British people in poverty live in a household where someone is in work and a staggering 67% of the four million children living in poverty in the UK are in families where at least one parent is working.

A figure of 0.9% might play well with the Tory faithful, but on its own it’s utterly meaningless.

2. Darryl

13th December, 2017 at 6:30 pm

As Simon said, to coin a phrase, if the job figures are so good, why are the tax receipts down?

It’s the quality and type of job which matters grealty.

3. Rob

13th December, 2017 at 8:16 pm

If so many are in “poverty” why are so many more desperate to get here?

4. Darryl

13th December, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Because, numbskull, our worst poverty is not a patch on theirs.

5. Rob

13th December, 2017 at 10:09 pm

How polite.
    I really don’t think anyone in this country is in real poverty unless by some strange quirk they’re totally illegible for welfare.

6. Darryl Godden

14th December, 2017 at 2:22 pm

The information is out there, if you can be bothered to look for it, I guess it is easier to sit behind your keyboard and espouse your world view, which many would agree, is at odds with reality?

7. Keith

15th December, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Firstly we still have all of the benefits of being in the EU so why should there be any significant impact on employment yet?

In the meantime the economy has had a substantial boost from the drop in the value of the pound that continues boosting the rate of inflation.. All of this is expected to help companies who export and support employment at least in the short term.

Informed comment on the rate of employment is puzzled by how it squares with how incomes are failing to keep pace with rising prices and queries just how representative the unemployment figures are. Perhaps the big increase in people in the insecure poorly paid gig economy jobs helps to explain how many people are in fact feeling worse off.

8. Rob

15th December, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Tell me all about this reality I should be experiencing please Darryl.
    I’m obviously missing something.

9. Darryl Godden

15th December, 2017 at 3:16 pm

You said it.

10. Rob

15th December, 2017 at 3:32 pm

So you’re the obvious one to enlighten me, aren’t you?

11. John Griffin

15th December, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Moral core probably

12. Nellygb

15th December, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Rob do you actually leave your front door and enter the real world or just sit looking at your screen in rose tinted glasses.

13. Rob

15th December, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Yes Nelly, just before 6.00am most mornings, on my way to a place called work. i’m guessing that’s in the “real world” unless you know of an alternative?

14. Martin Johnson

18th December, 2017 at 12:55 pm

OK, help me out.
    If employment is at such high levels why aren’t wages rising?
    As the available workforce shrinks you would expect employers to have to increase wages to attract applicants.
    Also, government borrowing is increasing, suggesting that tax revenues from the workforce are not rising, why is that?
    The only thing I can think of is that all this ‘employment’ consists of zero-hour contracts where people have a ‘job’ but no income, or the ‘jobs’ pay so little that the workers pay no tax.

15. Nellygb

18th December, 2017 at 3:38 pm

So then Rob is it just that you are so tired because you are the only one who works or that you really don’t give a flying f00k what others are experiencing in comparison to you. I don’t know your circumstances but the way you are coming across your are either blind or just blind to the facts.
    Just saying if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then it probably is a duck!!

16. Darryl

18th December, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Part of me suspects Rob is simpy a troll, I conclude because he never actually makes a valid point but responds to articles with some asinine guff and then quips responses without debate.

17. Rob

18th December, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for that nelly.
    I’ll remember to not waste my time politely answering your points in future.

18. Rob

18th December, 2017 at 5:41 pm

That’s it Darryl.
    Some one thinks differently to you.
    How can this be?
    Conclusion: troll.

19. Nellygb

18th December, 2017 at 6:28 pm

well lets get down to the debate then Rob. Feel free to put across your reasons why no one in this country is suffering relative poverty. I look forward to entering in a constructive, informed debate based on fact and not predigest. Go ahead, means as you started.

20. Rob

18th December, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I said I wouldn’t, but just this once:
    Nellygb:
    I made no mention of relative poverty, i said real poverty.
    If that’s your idea of constructive, informed debate I’ll leave this as a nice comfortable echo chamber for you and Darryl and one or two others.
    Cheerio.

21. Philip John

19th December, 2017 at 8:35 am

Rob, your use of the term “real poverty” is the problem here. It’s a term that has no meaning beyond your own perception of what it means.

There is absolute poverty, and there is relative poverty. What we’re talking about here – what Simon referred to in the first comment – is relative poverty.

Relative poverty is a measure of income inequality. The more people in relative poverty, the more unequal society is. What’s happening in the UK is that more families are in relative poverty whilst also in work, making this boast about employment rate fairly meaningless when the quality of life for those working families is so meager.

Perhaps if your comments were more informed, and didn’t belittle the genuine suffering of thousands of families, you’d get a better reception here.

22. John Griffin

19th December, 2017 at 11:49 am

Leave your Lichfield ghetto and travel north. Not hard to find grinding poverty there, nor in South Wales. Simply no jobs, and people runnng out of jobs within travelling distance to apply for, many with lots of people applying (e.g. call centres on minimum wage). They then get sanctioned by the DWP for not applying for minimum wage jobs that would involve moving house/home/paying for lodgings. Many on zero-hours (myself included) with unpredictable future earnings (e.g. weather-related closures). Extreme inequality means bottom end relative poverty co-existing close by with high end wealth (e.g. in Sutton Coldfield). No, Rob, nobody spends the day scouring for water and living on a handful of flour, but that isn’t the point in the 6th richest country on the planet, simply typical right-wing ‘whataboutery’.

23. apple9686

19th December, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Please Stop people !! Just because someone says something you dont like, you jump on him with your moralistic left attitudes. Typical Labour. Watch out Rob they might start calling you that filthy word. Brexiteer!! By the way my political party is “The Fedupists” I still blame Tony Blair for everything !!

24. Mat

19th December, 2017 at 7:47 pm

If we all take a breath…and study what poverty is. The general public ,through the Minimum Income Standard have done this for us. In short it’s a measure of how able people are to afford items that the general public decide are essential. Now call this relative or absolute but if you cannot afford to heat your house, or repair a white good, or visit a sick relative in hospital, then the general public see this as poverty. As far as seeing it day to day, take a walk along Weston Road, or onto the Pear Tree Estate in Rugeley. We are talking about human beings and they deserve more than this.

20th December, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Amount Not Paid N/A
    Amount Repaid N/A
    Status Paid
    Date 20 Mar 2017
    Short Description COUNCIL TAX 2017/2018
    Details LICHFIELD DC

Makes me feel so much better, that I struggle every month to pay my council tax. I go without things and often can’t afford to pay for my medicines. Yet, my MP gets his paid for him.

26. Nellygb

20th December, 2017 at 9:02 pm

apple9686 this is not about my moralistic left attitude because I simply do not have one, I’m a realist living in the real world. That means I understand that we are all different and I openly accept the fact my views will differ, in many ways, from those of perhaps the majority of others. For me what I can’t understand is the blinkered way Rob has jumped on here and dismissed the fact that against all the evidence offered up by respected individuals, institutions and foundations working at the “coal face” day in day out, their is no real poverty in the UK. No rational behind his assertion, just “I really don’t think anyone in this country is in real poverty unless by some strange quirk they’re totally illegible for welfare”

I don’t dive in and say that this government is doing a great job of looking after the homeless situation because the facts say otherwise as more people our out on the streets living rough than even last year. There was an increase of 16% from 2015 to 2016, while since 2010 rough sleeping estimates show an increase of 134%. (https://www.homeless.org.uk/facts/homelessness-in-numbers/rough-sleeping/rough-sleeping-our-analysis)
    I can neither offer vocal support for their treatment of children as an estimated 128,000 children are without a home. That figure was approx 75k in 2010 ( a recent shelter study)

Nor do I come here to support them in their efforts to help those Just About Managing families that were so important to them not too long ago, but who have taken a back seat in their more recent efforts to court the young vote. Why because the facts speak differently.

Between 2009 and 2015 the number of individuals below MIS (minimum income standard) rose by four million, from 15 million to 19 million (from 25 to 30 per cent of the population).

There are 11 million people living far short of MIS, up from 9.1 million, who have incomes below 75% of the standard and are at high risk of being in poverty.

The remaining eight million fall short of the minimum, by a smaller amount, and despite having a more modest risk of poverty, are just about managing at best.

A survey undertaken by the highly respected Joseph Rowntree Foundation, they didn’t just come out and say they think there is poverty in this country because you know what, they would have been jumped all over and rightly ridiculed.

And as an aside, and back on topic, it also shows how record employment in the economy on its own is not enough to help families reach MIS. (https://www.jrf.org.uk/press/just-about-managing-four-million-more-living-britain) Obviously one Mr Fabricant has missed, he must have been making a telly appearance when that one came out.

Mat you know I could go on and on. The same as many others on here that stand accused of being something they are quite possibly not I have never said any one party is better than another, you have just surmised that because I appear to have a modicum of social conscience I am either a Trotsky or a left leaning Liberal snowflake.

So what I’m really trying to say is I really do respect every ones right to have and express their opinion, but when they choose to openly ignore the facts, not from political parties who have an axe to grind but from independent observers trying to keep the public informed without any leaning or agenda, then sorry it’s open season because it is not an unbiased opinion it is just that they are willingly blind to the facts.

I don’t want anyone to agree with my view of things but my view I believe is at least an open minded informed view. Difference of opinion is good it creates open discussion but thinking something doesn’t exist just plain makes you come across as a bit of a lemming, or is that a troll cause I’ve yet to see Robs evidence that has formed his opinion.

End of rant.

27. Mat

21st December, 2017 at 11:34 am

I haven’t summised anything of the sort. I made no mention of any contribution made at all. I read Simon’s opening comment, which was very measured, but then saw the discussion desintergrate into squabble. I’m glad to see you follow my lead in referencing the MIS which at least gives a context to any words like poverty.

28. Nellygb

21st December, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Mat can I apologise for my mistake. I mentioned you but should have pointed my comments to
    apple9686. Forgive me

29. John Griffin

30th December, 2017 at 9:29 am

Nice to see some reality in a thread. Alas, established facts seem no longer a factor in the ‘New Ignorance’ school of abuse. While hard lefty snowflakes as I am supposed to be often have to confront data that require rethinking, this is of course a sign of weakness, a failure of dismissive certitude.