The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Burntwood RUFC suffer rare league defeat on the road at Shrewsbury

Burntwood RUFC lost their first league match of the year to a well drilled Shrewsbury outfit in a hard fought game.

The visitors started well with their forwards working the ball towards the Shrewsbury line from a series of rucks. The home defence held firm for 15 minutes before the ball was moved right for Lloyd D’unet to commit his opposite wing before feeding Fisher to score wide out on the right. Aaron D’unet converted.

The remainder of the half saw handling mistakes by both sides with a series of balls lost in contact or knocked forward when not under pressure.

Burntwood had the opportunity to extend their lead when the fly half chipped a ball into the corner, but Shrewsbury counter attacked through their full back and prop to work the ball back down field for their speedy right wing to cross the line and score a converted try.

Almost from the restart the visitors were awarded a penalty which was converted by Aaron D’unet to put his side 10-7 up.

Shrewsbury had their best period just before the half time whistle. Their forwards started to make ground through a series of rucks, forcing a gap on the left for their wing to touch down in the corner for an unconverted try.

Again Burntwood had the opportunity to regain the lead deep into injury time but the attempted penalty shaved the posts.

Any hopes of a comeback were dashed in a second half that firmly belonged to Shrewsbury. With the wind at their backs their forwards combined to extend their lead to 22-10 through two unconverted tries.

The lead was stretched further when a failed penalty kick by Shrewsbury was not cleared and from the turnover ball the hosts scored under the posts for a converted try.

Burntwood rallied towards the end of the half and forced Shrewsbury into conceding penalties at the ruck for preventing the release of the ball. Two separate yellow cards were shown by the referee to home players and a weakened pack were driven back over their line for a try by Graham Shelley. Aaron D’unet dropped goaled the conversion with minutes left on the clock to make it 22-17.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.