Council launches questionnaire to find out why Lichfield and Burntwood residents don’t recycle more

People in Lichfield and Burntwood are being asked why they don’t recycle more.

The question comes as Lichfield District Council prepares to draw up a ‘Waste Less’ campaign.

A questionnaire is being issued to understand what concerns locals have.

Councillor David Leytham, Cabinet member for operational services, leisure and waste, said: “As a district we recycle and compost more than half of the waste we collect from local homes. However, we know there is more to be done and we want to understand why our residents may not be recycling as much as they could.

“Getting local views will help us to shape our Waste Less campaign, which we’re hoping will see our recycling rates rise in the long-term.”

The Waste Less questionnaire is online at www.lichfielddc.gov.uk/wasteless until September 10.

“Waste is everyone’s problem and we all have a role to play, so please do tell us your views by filling in the quick questionnaire,” Cllr Leytham added.

1. The Teach

13th August, 2018 at 8:40 am

The survey is flawed. Questions which solicit multiple responses only accept one box ticked…

2. nellygb

13th August, 2018 at 10:10 am

Are you surprised The Teach. Why has no one bothered to check this before putting it out. Just about sums up the current state our council is in when they can’t get something so simple right. We’re doooomed Captain Manwaring

3. Macca

13th August, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Collect recycle bins every week or give everyone a second blue bin by default. Collection every week will mean recyclable waste doesn’t get put in the black bin when the blue one is full

4. LetsGiveASpin

13th August, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Easy don’t need a questionnaire . They are shit at what they do!

5. AnnS

14th August, 2018 at 9:32 am

Before I help them with their survey I would like them to tell me exactly what happens to all the waste that we currently put into our blue bins as sometime ago I heard that our council are not as green as they lead us to believe and that much recyclable waste still ends up in landfill. Oh and Macca I for one do not want another bin as I hardly have space for the three I already have.

6. Neil

15th August, 2018 at 9:33 pm

I have been looking absolutely everywhere for an old metal cantilever-type toolbox with imperial size tools; I’ve searched all the local charity shops, to no avail.

At the Lichfield Recycling Centre (it’s no longer The Tip) a few weekends ago there were two such toolboxes filled with tools discarded on a table at the side of the general waste container. I asked one of the operatives what would happen to them and he said that if they could be recycled they would be but due to health and safety rules they would probably be landfilled. I was horrified by this and asked if I could take one of them home with me and recycle it by using it; he said no.

I contacted the local authority and explained the situation and received a curt response explaining that due to health and safety rules items cannot be removed from the Recycling Centre. I could understand that somebody clambering around in a container is a hazard but carrying a toolbox to my car?! The email stated that anything that was good enough to be sent to a charity shop would be; I asked which charity shop, as I have scoured every single one for a toolbox, but I have not had a response. The main piece of legislation that covers health and safety is the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974; if I’m using tools in my domestic garage it doesn’t apply.

Consequently, my opinion on the local authority’s attitude to recycling has changed somewhat. Where is the sense in melting down perfectly good British-made tools that will last several lifetimes and wasting energy to create something else? The search for a toolbox is ongoing…