Lichfield and Burntwood MP reveals he was not one of the Tory letter writers who sparked vote of confidence in Prime Minister

Michael Fabricant has revealed he was not one of the Tory MPs who wrote a letter which could see the Prime Minister outed.

Michael Fabricant
Michael Fabricant

At least 48 Tory MPs wrote to the 1922 committee which has left the PM facing a vote of confidence in her leadership later today (12th December).

But the MP for Lichfield and Burntwood has said he was not one of the letter writers.

“I did not submit a letter to the 1922 and the timing of this vote is unfortunate as the Prime Minister has not completed her round of visits with EU leaders to resolve the Irish backstop question,” he said.

“It’s also sad that this had to happen while she was abroad negotiating on behalf of our country.

“However, the vote has now been triggered and I will listen very carefully to what she has to say when she addresses the 1922 at 5pm tonight.”

Mr Fabricant said he did have clear issues with the Brexit deal proposed by Mrs May.

“I had already explained to the Prime Minister at the beginning of last week in a one to one that the Irish backstop causes the biggest problem for me,” he said.

“I hope she has found a solution or an alternative way forward.  If not, the Government could fall anyway as Northern Irish DUP MPs have said they will no longer support the Government in the House of Commons.

“All these factors will be weighing in my mind when I cast my vote this evening.”

1. Nodge

12th December, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Spineless wimp.

2. The Scribbler

12th December, 2018 at 4:58 pm

The anti-May brigade failed to approach Mr Fabricant through the proper channels as listed on his website, so he was unable to respond.

3. Lichvegas

12th December, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Outed? I think that might be a Freudian slip…

4. Philip Allso

13th December, 2018 at 11:20 am

It is all too easy to be idealistic about politics but the Conservative administration over the last two periods seem to be littered with poor ideas and in party fighting. Clearly the referendum was ill judged, and poorely handled afterwards, as was the general election that followed. Universal credit has been a shambles and we have the shameful situation of food banks in one of the richest countries in the world. Will it be soup kitchens next? Infrastructure development expenditure continues to exceed budgets. Some like HS2 are questionable anyway for various reasons. Cross rail in London is massively over budget and like most rail services running late! We need a good stable government for the post Brexit years. Sadly the opposition offers little hope of providing this as their leader might be principled but is totally unelectable. An opportunity lost I think. Perhaps its my age but I have become cynical about administrations at both national and local levels. Too much self interest at the heart of them I think and less concern for those they serve.

5. Burntwood Bloke

13th December, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Is it because he knows that everything supposedly promised by hardline Brexiteers is utter fantasy, and that the fact we’re 2 years into this mess shows how hard leaving a 40-year agreement actually is?

6. Bob Chorba

16th December, 2018 at 2:30 am

Philip Allso makes some good points – more honestly, points I agree with – about the dire state and incapacity of this Conservative government and the blend of incompetence and self interest with which they have blundered their way through the referendum and the Brexit negotiations. I also agree that one would have hoped that the opposition would have given their supporters something less equivocal and evasive to hang their loyalty on. They may have a big game plan, and it would not be difficult to have any plan that would not benefit the majority more than the Tories’ more entitlement for those who think they are entitled would have, but Labour have left their supporters waiting for some party consensus to refer to when they want to argue the relevance and credibility of their point of view. All I know is that the Brexiteers’ Britishness is not and never will be mine nor many others and they’d better think very carefully about their eagerness to impose it.