The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Lichfield and Burntwood MP accuses Parliament of betraying the public over Brexit

Lichfield and Burntwood’s MP has accused Parliament of betraying the British public over Brexit.

Michael Fabricant
Michael Fabricant

Michael Fabricant made his comments after a series of votes in recent days failed to find a solution to the impasse over the departure of the country from the European Union.

And the Conservative MP has insisted voters have been let down, insisting the UK now faces a version of Brexit that will not come close to meeting the demands of those who voted to leave in the referendum.

“Parliament has betrayed the electorate and it could get worse,” Mr Fabricant said.

“It was meant to be Brexit hour at 11pm today (29th March). Now, through a combination votes by remain-supporting MPs and opportunistic opposition political parties, Brexit has been delayed by at least a fortnight, more likely for longer, or even for ever.”

“Brexit will not mean Brexit”

Mr Fabricant has predicted that votes next week will see the UK agree to retain some links to the EU – a move he says means leaving might as well never have been voted for.

“On Monday, the remainer Parliament, ignoring the wishes of the 17.4million who voted for Brexit, will table a series of alternatives to Brexit,” he said. “This is a direct consequence of the Government losing the vote today which I supported.

“One of the most likely outcomes on Monday will be a decision for the UK to remain in the EU customs union.

“This will mean that the UK will have to obey all EU directives on goods and services, will have to continue making regular payments to the EU, and will be forbidden from entering into our own free trade agreements with other nations. We might as well not have left.

“In short, Brexit will not mean Brexit. This is something I cannot agree to. I would rather leave the EU without a deal on the 12th April, cushioned by all the legislation passed in the last year in Brussels and London in case of this eventuality.

“There will be many angry people who voted Brexit in 2016 who will believe that they have been totally betrayed by their Parliament.  And they will be right.

“The haughty elite who have defied Brexit have created a jagged schism between the people and the establishment. This breach of trust will be both damaging and long-lasting to the social cohesion and future of our democratic processes.

“For my part, I will continue to do everything in my power to overcome the odds in this remainer Parliament and deliver the Brexit for which the majority of my constituents and the nation voted.”

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

1. Cearbhaill

29th March, 2019 at 11:01 pm

Let’s just kick back, crack a ‘cold one’ and watch the comments start coming in…are you sitting comfortably…

2. 66usual

29th March, 2019 at 11:48 pm

I have few issues with this. How did we get a remainer Parliament, Micheal? Was it through, I dunno, a democratic process? A public vote, maybe?

Am a I a haughty elite? I work for wages, mate. This parliament, that you happen to be a member of, is actually doing OK to prevent your headbanging, ill informed version of Brexit, that will cost me around 10% of my pension. I suggest you get out the way, take your pension, and let someone else represent us. You’ve clearly failed.

Doug Pullen for MP!!!!!

3. Philip Allso

30th March, 2019 at 9:22 am

I must admit that I doubted your resolve Michael Fabricant in the face of the pressure you must have encountered in a hostile undemocratic parliament. You have my respect sir for the honesty you have displayed throughout the whole referendum debacle. Democracy has to be served but that does not mean it is a them and us situation. We have no rancor with Europe as a whole nor those who advocate an ever increasing involvement with them. Many so called Brexiteers cherish our autonomy and have grave reservations regarding a federal Europe. The government called a referendum because of these opposing opinions and a decision was reached. The party political wrangelings and opportunisms displayed are a disgrace and a lasting stigma to our governing system. We should leave at the earliest date as no other solution is remotely likely. As for those wanting a second referendum (by whatever name they are calling it) this should only be considered after the first one has been implemented.

4. Rob

30th March, 2019 at 9:51 am

Spare a thought for poor Jon Snow of C4 News while all this is going on. Apparently he’d “never seen so many white people all in one place” so is likely spending his weekend completely traumatised.

5. Aubade

30th March, 2019 at 10:03 am

This is staggeringly arrogant. Fabricant campaigned strongly for the Leave vote, presumably thinking it wouldn’t lead to this mess? He’s on record for mocking those who claimed this mess would happen. Most sane people realised that leaving the EU was ALWAYS going to be a high risk and very messy affair. Fabricant now appears to be washing his hands of the mess he campaigned for – a mess HIS OWN PARTY has been instrumental in making.

At least have the balls to say “you know what?….I should have seen this coming…..sorry”.

6. Bob

30th March, 2019 at 10:25 am

I was going to write a long article but my conscience and my mind decided to have a vote about it but either didn’t like the result so you will have to wait for the result of the next vote and probably the next one after that.

7. Gillian

30th March, 2019 at 10:42 am

Mr Fabricant has a strange notion of betrayal. The British electorate was betrayed by the Leave campaign. In the judgement from the Electoral Commission, Vote Leave “broke the electoral rules set up by Parliament to ensure fairness, confidence and legitimacy. Serious offences such as these undermine public confidence in our system and it is vital therefore that they are properly investigated”
    This happened on Mr Fabricant’s watch – he and his ilk sat back and let it happen. Even now he fails to acknowledge that the electorate was misled and that it is has been proved that the referendum was based on lies and false promises.
    I wish Mr Fabricant and his fellow campaigners would show some humilty and acknowledge their responsibility for this. Their failure to do so is the real cause of the “jagged schism” and “breach of trust” between the electorate and the establishment.

8. Burntwood Bloke

31st March, 2019 at 2:27 pm

9. AnnS

1st April, 2019 at 10:22 am

#Bob. Your poor mind. LOL

10. Philip Allso

1st April, 2019 at 10:23 am

Brentwood Bloke, I have to admit that my reading of his account of his voting was incorrect. The virtues I have credited him with are entirely unjustified. A pity I cannot rescind my first two sentences. He has shown himself to be a lapdog to his Tory masters and not the supporter of his constituents decision. Collapsed under pressure I suppose!

11. Smiler

1st April, 2019 at 10:51 am

“Burntwood Bloke 31st March, 2019 at 2:27 pm
    “I would rather leave the EU without a deal on the 12th April,)”, says the man who voted for the exact opposite on Friday.”.

This is the issue with Fabricant. He says one thing then 24 hours later changes his mind completely. As a constituency, Lichfield has been failed time and time again by Fabricant (how many times has be been shown to be a rude, racist, unprofessional, irresponsible man?). Calling young voters a “tw@t”, circulated racist cartoons, threatened to punch a female journalist in the throat (I’m not making this up…….Google it!!).

Lichfield has also been completely failed by the Conservative City council – lead by Wilcox. Hardly a week goes by without a story on this very site (again – seatch local Lichfield news for the various scandals regarding Lichfield Councillors), exposing the corruption of its local councillors for failing to declare their interests etc. It would seem that they all have their snouts in the trough of our local taxes. £12 MILLION of Lichfield Residents taxes literally thrown down the drain because of the Friarsgate farce. To date, all we have to show for this £12 MILLION is businesses needlessly forced to close (Tempest Ford for one), and an ugly boarded up site in the middle of our beautiful city. I’ll say it again – THIS HAS COST US £12 MILLION OF LOCAL TAX PAYERS MONEY. Is addition to that – we’ve also lost income from business rates of those businesses forced to close, as well as the rental income from the properties that were demolished for Friarsgate.

And what does the leader of the council (who’s responsible for this) say?…..”the finance deal that was in place was withdrawn”….basically translated into “….nothing to do with mate”. He’s not even apologised for the Friarsgate failure. He didn’t even apologise after he was given a warning for using his council email address to promote his personal business! Their latest effort to prize even MORE money from is to “invest” £300,000 to improve the car park near Debenhams! It beggars belief. In what other walk of life would a paid public servant still be in a job?! “Yeah – you know that £12 million I accidentally wasted? Well I’ve got another idea – but I’ll need another £300,000”…..

Please remember this when your council tax increases in the near future, as the increase will (in part) be for the council’s shocking failure and compete disregard for managing OUR money effectively.

I know who I will not be voting for in that local elections in May and it won’t be for the current bunch of cretins. Lichfield can’t afford it – and neither can I!

12. Darryl Godden

1st April, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Good, Brexit is as ridiculous as his toupee, just cancel it.

13. Lichvegas43%

1st April, 2019 at 11:13 pm

Fabricant is a hard-right wrecker, evidenced yet again by his voting against ALL options debated in Parliament tonight. He patently doesn’t care that his extremist Brexit free-trade fantasy will hurt jobs and living standards, and has zero interest in addressing the concerns of his 26,064 Remain-voting constituents. I think his majority at last election was 14,512.

14. Rob

2nd April, 2019 at 1:09 pm

If Remain had won the referendum with 52% of the vote could any one of the remainers explain what concensus and compromise would have been reached to address the concerns of the 48% of leave-voting constituents please?

15. Philip Allso

2nd April, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Rob, it seems highly unlikely that we will be leaving the EU in any way near what was stated in the referendum. The remainers should be content with Mays proposals as they virtually commit us to the worst aspects of membership. Parliament and business interests have robbed us of our political integrity. Some might naively believe that the electorate will forget in time; I doubt this will be so and the consequences will be dangerous and far reaching. As for your concern regarding election results, will we ever accept so called democratic votes in the future? It seems a government can keep submitting the same proposal over and over again (even after record defeats) until (by threat, coercion, or bribery behind the scenes) they can get it passed. That is then the end of it! That has to be wrong by any measure of democracy. Why a parliament, who clearly do not want Brexit, put it to the electorate in the first place is beyond my comprehension. They have done everything possible to renege on it since the result. I am old and do not stand to benefit one way or the other from the outcome but I passionately believe posterity is best served when we have control over are own affairs. There is an instability about the EU which will eventuall bring about its downfall and (possibly) us with them. Our constitution (so called) has never been under greater threat since Charles the first. The real and only question is Who Rules The Kingdom?

16. Lichvegas43%

2nd April, 2019 at 9:05 pm

Well, our government could have used the EU Free Movement Directive to control EU migration, which I understand to be a concern in the 52% and beyond. This has been available since 2006. Other member states chose to use it and we didn’t.

Nothing wrong with leaving, but I would like the UK to stay together and our citizens not to be further impoverished in the process. Sorry, that’s just the kind of saboteur I am.

17. Rob

3rd April, 2019 at 8:44 am

So you can’t name any consensus or compromise you could offer yet you expect it of others. Any “impoverishment” is pure conjecture at this stage and unlikely to be permanent, if it occurs at all.

18. Darryl Godden

3rd April, 2019 at 9:04 am

@Rob

Changes were already being made, Brexit is the result of the hard-right capitalising on certain bits of the EU people were unhappy with and creating an extreme form of reform that was unnecessary.

What would remain do? It was already doing it, you weren’t listening.

19. Philip Allso

3rd April, 2019 at 11:46 am

@Darryl…….So in spite of the reforms being made that would address our concerns, the cross party decision was to call a referendum! Let’s get this right Darryl, are we to assume that parliament is a hard right organisation? I would suggest to you that none of what you say is true and that the referendum result was a shock to everyone. The “none listeners” probably commanded an even greater majority if you discount Scotlands bias towards independence and (to some extent) Londons majoriry mixed race concerns for their right to remain. Quite frankly, if Mays agreement or a Customs Union are the outcome we may as well stay in. Such a betrayal would surely bring about the real right wing response that none of us want.

20. Rob

3rd April, 2019 at 11:46 pm

So Cooper’s bill passed by a majority of one. Lucky Onasanya was out of jail.

21. Lichvegas43%

4th April, 2019 at 9:48 am

Yes, quite. Let’s just discount the bits of the UK that don’t agree with you, shall we?

If the UK breaks up and violence returns to our streets via Northern Ireland, that’s a price worth paying, eh?

A spot of temporary impoverishment can be enough for people to lose their livelihoods and homes, but I guess that’s a risk worth taking too, in your world.

I notice that my point about restricting freedom of movement whilst remaining in the EU has been ignored, but never mind, it can’t be valid because it doesn’t fit in with your narrative.

Inflammatory language about ‘betrayal’ and fascists getting violent if we don’t do what they want isn’t a good look, either.

22. Philip Allso

4th April, 2019 at 11:08 am

@Lichvegas43%…. You do seem to have introduced things into my posting which I haven’t said, but on your point of civil unrest you might address yourself to this morning’s news regarding police preparations for the same. If you find that ‘inflammatory’ then perhaps you might take it up with them. Prior to the referendum attempts were made to negotiate an improvement to our terms and conditions. Freedom of movement was one of them although we though of it as immigration as this aspect had not been properly explained in the 1973 referendum. These talks did not produce any assurances and led to the second referendum which was part of both parties manifestos. The immigration issue had been a concern for some time and successive governments had pledged to reduce it. (To tens of thousands not hundreds of thousands). Had we been able to do this unilaterally I am sure we would have done. The price we are paying for membership was also an issue. Open borders for freedom of movement is a vexed question. Two hundred and fifty to three hundred thousand a year requires a lot of extra facilities and infrastructure. Britain is an attractive place to live compared to the living standards in many of the other 27 countries. Many (like me) think this unsustainable. This is no reflection on their race, religion or colour, it is just a fact of life. Should other countries join the EU later (especially Turkey) the impact would be greater. Yes a trickle leave these shores every year but the imbalance is still there. The federal aspect of membership was less overt in the early years but has become more pervasive in recent times. I voted for a market facility not a United Federal State of Europe (another aspect not explained in the 1973 referendum). Your point about Northern Ireland I find baffling. Southern Ireland joined at the same time as us. It was their choice but what would have happened if they haven’t? To allow that situation to hold us to ransom is illogical. I also think our relationship with Ireland is a long standing one and should be respected by the EU. Unless they can demonstrate that custom requirements are being abused there is no need for a “backstop”. Feelings on Our membership of the EU are strong. I try not to be belligerent in my stance as others have valid opinions as well. It does not require much imagination to realise that this situation will prevail long after any outcome is delivered.

23. Mark_My_Words

4th April, 2019 at 3:53 pm

If you’re interested in supporting the local People’s Vote Campaign, sign up here: