The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Lichfield District Council candidate says Lib Dems will stand up for “disgracefully underfunded” public services

A candidate in the forthcoming local elections says a vote for the Liberal Democrats is a way to stand up for “disgracefully underfunded” public services.

Paul Ray

Paul Ray will stand in the Chadsmead ward on Lichfield District Council in Thursday’s poll.

He said the Conservatives had shown they were not capable of creating a system that protects key services.

“Our public services are disgracefully underfunded as a result of government cuts and continuing austerity measures,” he said.

“Schools, the NHS, transport and roads have all suffered – now we do not even have a police help desk in Lichfield.

“The answer is not to put up the council tax, but to make central government fund local authorities properly.

“Higher earners should, we believe, pay some more in tax – with no further cuts to corporation tax being introduced that the Conservatives support.

“Lib Dems have also proposed a 1p on income tax to be ring-fenced for social care and NHS spending.”

Mr Ray said the future of local health provision would be a key part of his aims were he to be elected.

“The merger of the Burton and Derby NHS trusts should benefit patients in the Lichfield district, with access to advanced care now available at Derby,” he said. “However, the future of the Samuel Johnson and Robert Peel Community Hospitals is crucial to our community.

“Local Lib Dems are committed to campaigning to keep the Samuel Johnson open, providing a much-needed local first port of call for many who would otherwise have to make their way to Burton or even Derby for relatively minor ailments and injuries.

“And we support the plan to widen services for the local population, such as frailty services and diagnostics and management of long-term health conditions, so residents can get more care and treatment closer to home.”

The full list of candidates standing in the Chadsmead ward:
Muriel Boyle (Cons)
Kevin Casserley (UKIP)
Joanne Grange (Ind)
Sara Pritchard (Cons)
Paul Ray (Lib Dem)
Philip Sutcliffe (Lab)
Mark Taylor (Lab)
Miles Trent (Lib Dem)

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

1. Sue Woodward

30th April, 2019 at 9:00 am

Wasn’t it the Lib Dem’s, in cahoots with the Tories, who first imposed the austerity cuts during the Coalition Government? Cllr Ray has a short memory. Most of the electors haven’t.

2. Peter King.

30th April, 2019 at 10:01 am

Another Prat, the Libdems were in league with the government enabling them to make all the cuts to our services, the disabled and the poor in the first place, he has a very short memory. Hopefully most people’s will be longer and vote labour on Thursday.

3. Colin Ball

30th April, 2019 at 1:00 pm

I’m hoping so too, Sue and Peter. Labour has excellent local candidates in Chadsmead, as well as across the District generally. The LibDems really let the country down, when they were in government with the Conservatives. I’m hoping to retain my seat on both Lichfield City and District Council for the Curborough Ward – and, hopefully, see Dave Robertson elected beside me on the District Council and Matthew Field on the City Council. I’m sure that local people will know that a vote for Labour will be a vote for change.

4. Paul Ray

30th April, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Talking about short memories: don’t forget Labour ran government finances into the ground. But we would all be in good hands now with Corbyn and McDonnell!!

5. Gillian Stone

30th April, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Peter King, I wouldn’t know my Labour candidate if he came knocking at my door. Paul Ray didn’t need to introduce himself to me when he came because he’s out and about in the community getting to grips with local issues, whether there,are elections pending or not!

6. Darryl Godden

1st May, 2019 at 8:04 am

Honestly, Lib Dems and Labour should be natural opposition to the Tories but there’s so much “in-fighting” the Tories just have to sit above it all and you their job for them.

Furthermore Paul – I could care-less about Labour but you really should educate yourself as to why Gordon Brown took the action he did, he pretty much saved the country from economic ruin in stepping in to bail out the banking industry, you are doing the Tories job for them by regurgitating this trope that Labour spent all the money.

7. Paul Ecclestone-Brown

1st May, 2019 at 1:04 pm

What a great list of services Paul. Please tell us the ones that are under the control of the District and City Councils?

8. AnnS

1st May, 2019 at 3:44 pm

Why are you all debating national politics. These are local elections that you should be debating.

9. Jon O'Hagan

2nd May, 2019 at 8:39 am

Paul Ray might have a better understanding of what the District council does if he attended more meetings that he does. It might be helpful if he listened to others more than making irrelevant little speeches when he does bother to turn up.

10. Wilf

2nd May, 2019 at 4:37 pm

I’m no fan of Paul Ray but it would be nice to hear Jon O’Hagan talk about what he himself has done rather than spending his time trying to put the boot into the efforts of others. Labour, Lib Dem, independent; he’s had a dig them all over the course of recent weeks.

So come on then, big boy, tell us what your notable achievements for the people of this district are? You’ve signed off on millions for a redevelopment project that never happened, what else?

Remember, Jon, he who shouts loudest generally has the least to shout about.

11. Wilde

3rd May, 2019 at 10:41 am

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get to the polling station – but I’m waiting expectantly to hear the result.

3rd May, 2019 at 1:00 pm

I was tempted to vote Lib Dem.

What stopped me, was knowing Vince Cable would be all over TV today, saying it was an anti Brexit vote.

We were told to vote on local issues. That is what I have done, voted on local issues.

My views on Brexit will be shown in the Euro elections, in a few weeks time.

13. Wilde

3rd May, 2019 at 2:08 pm

The results are in and…..depressingly, despite all the financial mess they’ve made, we still have a lot of Con controlled councils. Makes one wonder what they have to do to get voted out?

14. AS

3rd May, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Well that’s rich coming from you #Wilde given that you didn’t vote.

15. Wilde

3rd May, 2019 at 5:05 pm

AS – I didn’t vote because I wasn’t able to vote as I had to dash down to Cardiff for a family emergency. Not that I have to justify that to you. I had every intention on voting but simply wasn’t able to do so.

Did it ever occur to you that there may have been a good reason why I didn’t vote? Next time, please think through your response before hitting the “reply” button. Idiot.