Luke Morgan and Emma Cole

Don’t miss out!

Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.

A Burntwood couple have been jailed following the death of their son in 2014.

Luke Morgan and Emma Cole

Luke Morgan, 26, and his partner Emma Cole, 22, were found guilty of causing or allowing the death of two-month-old Tyler Morgan and child cruelty on May 13, following a trial at Stafford Crown Court. 

Jurors heard Tyler had suffered injuries prior to his death in 2014. 

Morgan was jailed for a total of eight years yesterday (21st June) at Stafford Crown Court for causing or allowing the death, with a three year sentence for child cruelty to be served concurrently.

Cole was sentenced to five years for causing or allowing the death, with two years to be served concurrently for child cruelty.

Judge Michael Chambers QC, said: “One of you deliberately smothered the child. The other was aware of the risks and failed to protect him.

“I am satisfied there was a delay of up to one hour before calling an ambulance. ” 

Judge Chambers said he found Morgan to be responsible for a bite mark on Tyler’s forearm and rib fractures.

Tyler Morgan

The court heard that an ambulance was called to Morgan and Cole’s former home in Sunnymead Road, Burntwood, on 29th April 2014 after Morgan said he had kissed his son’s forehead and it felt cool to the touch. 

Tyler was taken to Walsall Manor Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 4.30am.

The court heard Morgan and Cole had been drinking prior to the call and neighbours reported loud arguments between the pair, with one neighbour saying the rows were about lack of money and “not wanting Tyler”.

Prior to a post mortem taking place, a bite mark was found on Tyler’s arm. A Home Office post mortem was then conducted by Dr Alexander Kolar.

The cause of death was recorded as ‘unascertained’ but Dr Kolar told the court there were “features raising the prospect of obstruction of external airways”. 

Injuries to Tyler included three rib fractures, marks to both sides of his face and the bridge of his nose and a bite mark to the right forearm. 

Detective Chief Inspector Victoria Downing from Staffordshire Police described the case as tragic and very distressing. 

“Our first thoughts are with Tyler, who was barely two-months-old when he lost his life, and his extended family,” she said.

“This has been a difficult and distressing case to bring before the courts and we are grateful to those who have provided evidence to allow the jury to reach this decision.” 

Morgan and Cole were found not guilty of murder and manslaughter at their trial. 


Founder of Lichfield Live and editor of the site.