The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Warning after Burntwood boy’s bed is burnt by tablet left charging overnight

People are being warned to take care when charging electrical items after an incident in Burnwood.

An 11-year-old boy had left his tablet plugged in on his bed overnight on last week at a house in Keepers Close.

The youngster’s bedding was smouldered, with the tablet burning down through to the mattress springs.

Some of the damage caused by the tablet left charging on a bed overnight
Some of the damage caused by the tablet left charging on a bed overnight

An 11-year-old boy escaped injury when his tablet burned through his bedding and mattress after it had been charging on his bed overnight.

The fire service were alerted after the boy’s father visited the local fire station to inform them.

Community safety officer Brad Robins visited the property to inspect the damage, which was only discovered when the boy work up to find a hole in his bed.

He said: “This family has been greatly shocked by what has happened and it serves as a stark reminder not to leave items charging on materials that could catch fire when hot.

“Always place phones and tablets on to a safe surface when charging. Make sure you buy genuine chargers for your items and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

“Be sure to register your product in case there is a product recall. Also, ensure that your smoke alarms are working correctly by testing them regularly.

“This building did not have working smoke alarms which may have alerted the family to the incident earlier.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.

Leave a Reply