Don’t miss out!
Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.
Firefighters have issued a fresh warning about the dangers of open water after the death of a man in Lichfield.
The incident happened at Stowe Pool on 8th July and saw all of the emergency services involved.
The man in his 50s, who has not been named, was pulled from the water at around 5.45pm but died later in hospital.
Station Manager Rob Horton attended the incident. He said: “It is extremely sad to see another fatal incident in the water in Staffordshire and our thoughts are with the man’s loved ones at this difficult time.”
Mr Horton said that even water which looks calm can be dangerous.
“Although some of these spaces are beautiful places to visit, please do not under any circumstances enter the water,” he said. “Only swim in designated and supervised areas.
“We know it can be tempting to go into the water to cool off during the hot weather, but there are hidden hazards under the surface. Even if the water seems calm, the underlying current can be deceiving.
“The temperature can also be colder than you expect even when the weather is warm. You can still go into cold water shock, leaving you unable to swim to the edge.
“The service has put posters around Stowe Pool to discourage swimming and will be looking into more ways to spread the message that the water is not safe to swim in. Please think before you swim.”