The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Poster project aims to give Lichfield youngsters a voice on the future of Friary Grange Leisure Centre

Lichfield youngsters are being urged to get creative in the fight to save Friary Grange Leisure Centre.

Friary Grange Leisure Centre
Friary Grange Leisure Centre

Protesters are organising a poster campaigner to help ensure all voices are heard in the debate over the future of the city facility.

Dr Kim Rochelle, who is one of the organisers of the poster initiative, said: “Next summer holiday Lichfield children won’t be able to swim or take part in the other affordable activities they’re presently enjoying at Friary Grange Leisure Centre if plans to close it in April 2020 go ahead.

“More than 7,500 people have signed the online petition to save this public facility – but kids currently don’t have a way of making their feelings known about losing the place they love going to not just during school holidays but throughout the year.

“I’m an educational psychologist, so I know how important it is for children to exercise and socialise regularly to maintain their mental and physical health, not forgetting their emotional well-being.”

The A4 posters will be displayed on noticeboards around the city, with children asked to drop their posters into collection boxes at the customer service desks of Morrisons, Tesco Extra and Waitrose stores in Lichfield.

Dr Rochelle added: “The posters will be displayed around the city after the school holidays, before being handed to the committee deciding on the fate of Friary Grange Leisure Centre in October.”

Advertise here and reach 30,000 visitors every month!

1. CDC

2nd August, 2019 at 7:27 pm

What a brilliant idea

2. Mat

3rd August, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Great idea.

3. Jennie

4th August, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Fantastic. Children’s and young people need ways for their views to be heard and seen. I would also take the posters to LDC council meetings . Make a formal request to Hand them over to the Leader of the council. Happy to help in anyway I can .

4. Robyn

6th August, 2019 at 11:02 pm

Hi Jennie, we could definitely use some extra volunteers to deliver leaflets, if you can? The routes and maps are made up, if you’re interested my email is robynfawcett@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks
    Robyn
    (part of the Save Friary Grange Action Group)

7th August, 2019 at 2:49 pm

@Robyn. I will try and be at the public meeting.

I do worry. As the council are holding the meeting in a larger venue. There needs to be a sizeable number of residents. Ideally with a few speakers. Who are speaking for all. If there is not. It will be easy for councillors to say, there is no real local feeling.

The old library has shown us, no matter the weight of feeling. The council will ignore locals.

They are doing this shortly after the last election, to give people time to forget the cuts they have made, before the next election.

The likely outcome will be the council will say, we can’t save Friary Grange. But, we will look for a new larger pool. That will never be built. Once it’s gone. It’s gone forever.

I hope I am wrong.

6. Dr Kim Rochelle

7th August, 2019 at 5:54 pm

Another poster collection box is now in The Little Green Frog Cafe in the Three Spires Centre. Watch this space for more locations!

7. M L

28th August, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Today I have emailed Christopher Pincher about the Friary closure as though a considerable number of Friary Leisure centre users will live in his constituency I have never seen a reference to him. If i receive a reply I will post it on here