The only news website dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Catering business fined £200,000 over Burntwood wedding food poisoning says steps have been taken to ensure similar incident doesn’t happen again

A company fined £200,000 after giving guests at a wedding food poisoning has said it has taken steps to prevent a similar incident happening again.

Galloping Gourmet (Coulsdon) Ltd admitted two food hygiene offences at Cannock Magistrates’ Court.

Phil and Vikki Kemp on their wedding day
Phil and Vikki Kemp on their wedding day

It came after Burntwood groom Paul Kemp was forced to cancel his honeymoon in the Dominican Republic with new wife Vikki when he and more than 50 people at his wedding ate a hog roast which was contaminated with salmonella.

The company was fined £200,000 and forced to pay £50,000 in costs.

A spokesperson for Galloping Gourmet told Lichfield Live: “We can’t express how sorry we are for the distress and discomfort this incident caused.

“Food safety is a responsibility we take extremely seriously.

“Our priority is to serve safe, tasty and well-presented food and drink to our customers, but on this isolated occasion, our food safety procedures were not followed correctly.

Vikki and Phil Kemp
Vikki and Phil Kemp

“We have investigated the incident thoroughly and made a significant investment in technology to improve our procedures and minimise the possibility for individual human error.

“Since we started out in 1990, we have served well over a million people and we’ve never had a problem like this before.

“However, we have accepted full responsibility today and we are confident that the changes we’ve made will help ensure that this never happens again.”

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Advertisements

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.

Leave a Reply