Food found next to tools and other DIY equipment by council officers
Food found next to tools and other DIY equipment by council officers

A director of the former operator of a pub in Alrewas has been fined more than £3,000 after admitting breaches of food safety regulations.

Richard Maley was prosecuted by Lichfield District Council following an inspection by officers in February 2016.

They found food unfit for human consumption, dirty storage areas, food stored inappropriately and dirty equipment.

The case against Maley, of Dyke Road in Rugeley, was scheduled to be heard in 2017 but he failed to appear at court and a warrant was issued for his arrest. He finally faced charges on 28th April at Newcastle-under-Lyme Magistrates Court, after he was found and arrested in South Wales. 

Maley, who was a director of The Double R Pub Company Ltd which operated The George and Dragon pub in Alrewas until 2017, admitted placing food on the market which was unsafe, and failing to ensure raw materials and ingredients were kept in appropriate conditions to prevent harmful deterioration and protect them from contamination.

He also admitted failing to ensure the premises was kept clean, well maintained and in good repair and failing to ensure all articles, fittings and equipment with which food came into contact were effectively cleaned and disinfected.

“Extensive mould”

During the inspection, Lichfield District Council officers found:

Mould found on food by Lichfield District Council officers
Mould found on food by Lichfield District Council officers
  • Meat pies and tomatoes with extensive mould on the surface, together with a baked apple containing a non-food woodworking chisel.
  • An uncovered joint of roast pork stored unrefrigerated on a tray next to tools and paint.
  • Tubs of unrefrigerated part-cooked bacon and sausage and a joint of cooked pork stored unrefrigerated underneath an air conditioning unit which was unclean.
  • Two uncovered cooked meat pies, a tub of uncovered cooked chicken, ham and leek filling, a covered jug of gravy and a covered jug of diced sausage and bacon stored, unrefrigerated, next to a box of DIY waste on unclean stairs.
  • A build-up of dirt and food debris on the storeroom floor, with flaking paint, mould growth and food matter on the walls.
  • Plug sockets and doors heavily soiled with dirt.
  • Kitchen walls and floor were soiled with grease.
  • Dirty equipment used to store and cook food.
  • A non-operating fridge in the storeroom, with the shelving and base inside soiled with grease and food debris and was rusty.

Maley, who has not been involved with the pub since 2017, was fined £1,280, ordered to pay £1,800 court costs and a £32 victim surcharge. 

Councillor Angela Lax, Lichfield District Council’s cabinet member for regulatory, housing and health, said:

“We take this kind of offence very seriously.

“Food business operators who do not maintain safe and hygienic standards must be accountable for their actions.

“The case against Mr Maley should have been heard in 2017 but the defendant did not attend the hearing.

“His food safety offences presented a high risk of harm to the public and although Mr Maley is no longer associated with the premises we were determined to follow through on the enforcement given the seriousness of the offences.

“The current food business operator at the premises, who has been in place since 2018, has a food hygiene rating of five – very good. We are pleased that the premises has been well-managed ever since our intervention.”

Cllr Angela Lax, Lichfield District Council

Leave a comment

Our volunteers moderated 1262 comments in the last 30 days. Say thanks with a coffee.

Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy before posting.

Your email address will not be published.