Jordan Johnson. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC endured a poor evening as they went down 4-1 at Worksop Town in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

Jordan Johnson. Pic: Dave Birt

Despite showing flashes of form early on, the Tigers were just too strong for the Scholars and were on top throughout, the visitors’ chance count in single figures for the evening with only a second half Jordan Johnson strike providing consolation.

A very lively start saw Ben Jevons enjoy Chasetown’s first chance in the first minute but his shot flew straight to home keeper Jon Worsnop, while Ben Turner saw a chance for the Tigers from the left of three minutes but namesake Jimmy Turner blocked.

The Scholars winger then blocked a cross from Sam Duncum before Massiah McDonald played in from the right but Duncum failed to connect at the far post and Johnson cleared. The hosts were certainly putting the Scholars under pressure, McDonald forcing Ryan Price into a fine save on 13 minutes before Mark Hands – on his first Chasetown start – crossed from the right to Jevons but his header went over the bar.

The Tigers defence somehow kept out a Danny Smith effort three minutes later but the Chasetown defence were also proving up to the task until the dam eventually burst on 21 minutes when Duncum played in Ashley Burbeary and his low left-footed shot evaded Price to put Worksop ahead.

The hosts remained narrowly on top although Chasetown enjoyed the occasional break, Smith shooting wide on 33 minutes, before Worksop enjoyed another chance with Jamie Jackson heading over the bar before McDonald sent a shot wide.

Chris Wood began the second half with a low cross from the right for the hosts but Jackson stumbled as he tried to shoot from close range before Price saved from Marc Roberts after a Mark Hudson free kick. The Tigers still looked the stronger side and on 52 minutes however Duncum crossed to Burbeary following a rapid run down the left and the latter fired into the roof of the net from five yards to double Worksop’s lead.

Chasetown looked to have broken through five minutes later but Smith failed to control and keeper Worsnop dived onto the loose ball, while Mark Hudson’s left-footed shot grazed the top of Price’s bar at the other end.

The hosts added a third on 74 minutes when McDonald crossed from the left and Jackson was on hand to fire into the roof of the net from close range.

Jackson cut in from the right and threatened to make it four but Price whipped the ball away before he could finish, while Scholars substitute Robinson found space on the right but his shot rebounded off the opposite post.

Chasetown pulled one back with ten minutes to go when Johnson beat two defenders and curled a fine left-footed shot home past Worsnop, but the Tigers reasserted their dominance four minutes later when Burbeary crossed from the right and McDonald was in space to hammer a low right-footed shot past Price into the corner of the net.

On 87 minutes David Bridgewater forced Worsnop into a good save, but there was no way back for the Scholars and substitute Michael Whitwell could have made it five in added time but his shot went inches wide of the post.

Chasetown now turn their attention to the FA Cup as they host Grantham Town this Saturday (October 1), kick-off 3pm.

Worksop: Worsnop, Wood, B Turner, Fox, Roberts, Cotterill (c), Burbeary, Hudson, McDonald, Jackson, Duncum. Subs: Davidson (Burbeary 88), Gardner (Duncum 74), Young, Whitwell (Jackson 78), Matthewson.
Chasetown: Price, J Turner, M Branch, Cohen, Stride, Teesdale (c), Johnson, Hands, Birch, Smith, Jevons. Subs: Westwood (Hands 60), Bridgewater (Jevons 74), Farmer, Peel, Robinson (Smith 60).

Goals: Burbeary 21, 52, Jackson 74, Johnson 80, McDonald 84.

Referee: Mr N Bannister.

Attendance: 292.