The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Match report: Whitby Town 2 Chasetown FC 0

Dean Perrow's effort is scrambled away by the Whitby defence. Pic: Dave Birt

Dean Perrow's effort is scrambled away by the Whitby defence. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC’s poor start to 2012 continued as Whitby Town took their first home win of the season with a 2-0 defeat of the Scholars.

The side were barely able to find a chance against the Evo-Stik Premier strugglers and their frustrations began to show midway through the second half as the seaside club put in a strong performance.

In decidedly warmer weather than the Scholars’ visit to Whitby the previous January the game began in lively fashion, Jack Farmer sniffing a chance when home keeper Nick Liversedge spilled the ball but he gathered at the second attempt while Dean Perrow’s speculative lob in the tenth minute forced the Blues keeper into a save.

Chris Slater hacked a Whitby attack clear on 17 minutes before Jimmy Beadle fluffed a header from an Ibrahim Hassan cross as the hosts began to push harder, Farmer working hard to counter for the Scholars down the right but the Blues defence intercepted his crosses.

Chase keeper Ryan Price performed some fine acrobatics on 29 minutes to deny home skipper Mark Robinson and Jamie Clark’s double attack before Beadle and Jeff Smith bizarrely fell over each other in front of goal, the ball falling to Andrew Leeson who blasted a shot high and wide. Whitby’s next attack was successful however, as Tom Portas cut in from the right and hammered a low shot past Price into the far corner of the net.

Things went from bad to worse for Chasetown as the second half began when a cross from the left found Andy Appleby who jinked the ball round Price and slotted home at the near post to double the Blues’ lead.

Chasetown looked to be struggling although Farmer and Jimmy Turner were working hard to counter Whitby’s attacks, and manager Chris Brindley brought Danny Smith and Lee Wright into the attack. Turner was then booked following a clash with Clark and more controversy followed as Chasetown began to display their frustrations.

Clark’s 74th minute free kick flew straight into Price’s arms before the keeper stopped Appleby from scoring his second, the latter then squaring the ball to substitute Matty Tymon but his shot went wide of the post. No further chances were forthcoming for the Scholars and the squad were left to face a long and gloomy return trip to the Midlands.

Next up for the Scholars is a Walsall Senior Cup tie at Heath Hayes tomorrow (January 10), 7.45pm kick-off, before taking on Matlock Town next Saturday (3pm).

Whitby: Liversedge, Hassan, Robinson (c), White, Leeson, Williams, Portas, Beadle, Clark, Appleby, J Smith. Subs: Martin (J Smith 87), Tymon (Clark 76), Lyth (Hassan 81), Blackford, Campbell (GK).
Chasetown: Price, Farmer, M Branch, Slater, Turner, Teesdale (c), Hughes, Stride, Birch, Perrow, Bridgewater. Subs: D Smith (Teesdale 61), Westwood, Wright (Bridgewater 61), Edwards, Downes (Hughes 73).

Click to see more of Dave Birt’s pictures from the game.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!