Police monitoring plans for Margaret Thatcher ‘death party’ in Lichfield

Police say they will “monitor” plans for a party in Lichfield to mark Margaret Thatcher’s death.

Fireworks were let off in the city on the day of the former Prime Minister’s passing by a group who had gathered at a city centre pub.

However, police had already spoken to the owner of the pub to warn of the gathering.

Officers have since visited the organiser of the event, who is also behind a website called The Lichfield Thatcher’s Dead, We’re Still Alive Party.

He told LichfieldLive: “They wanted to know about our political views and ideas, who organised the party and who went.

“I told them if they left a card I’d pass their details on to the people who organised it, but they said they’d make their own enquiries.

“They also asked about our plans for Wednesday [the day of Margaret Thatcher’s funeral].”

Staffordshire Police confirmed that officers had met with the site’s owner.

A spokesperson for the force said: “We were made aware that there were possible plans for such a party at a pub in the city centre.

“We did attend and speak to the licensee but there were no issues.

“We’ve also subsequently visited the person who is responsible for the website that organised the party.

“We are not investigating any offences in relation to this but will continue to monitor the situation to ensure that any planned events are peaceful and within the law.”

1. johnthemon

12th April, 2013 at 4:48 pm

“to ensure that any planned events are peaceful and within the law.”

We must respect the dead, and the Rights of those who are still living, even if their political views differ somewhat to ours.

2. Sabcat

12th April, 2013 at 4:53 pm

So no offences being investigated but monitoring “the situation” (which began and ended on Monday night) means visiting people to ask them about their political ideas. This is the kind of behaviour that most people would associate with the Stasi rather than Staffordshire police but here we are.

I hope everyone that turned up enjoyed themselves and the rest of Lichfield appreciated the fireworks.

3. Jiraffe

12th April, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for the firework show Sabcat!

4. plop

12th April, 2013 at 5:18 pm

thatcher’s private army still practicing fear and intimidation tactics on those who oppose her even after her death

what does our mandate lacking pcc think of that?

5. johnthemon

12th April, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Margret Thatcher she is no longer in control even her soul
    is destined to rest where it rightly belongs

Those that have gone on before too far to swim to the shore
    their deaths must be remembered this hour
    Outside the exclusion zone they were heading for home
    until the Iron Lady executed her might and her power.

6. Pips

14th April, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Yeah thanks for that! As if bonfire night/week/weekend isn’t bad enough for animals some bunch of inconsiderate idiots decide to let fireworks off and frighten my dog to its almost death. I couldn’t care less about your political opinions but I do care about animals that suffer when fireworks are set off. Grow up!

7. Foxy

16th April, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Don’t forget to pick your dog poop up as you go along, Pips.
    Are you aware of your dogs carbon footprint?
    Disgusting!

8. Jozef Nakielski

16th April, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I wonder what affect Boston will have on the proceedings. There could be copy cats. I certainly wouldn’t be down London.

9. Jozef Nakielski

16th April, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Dogs haven’t got very big footprints and they’re mostly mud covered, not carbon, unless its been in sabcats ashes

10. Jozef Nakielski

16th April, 2013 at 1:59 pm

That’s the impression I got from it too sabcat.

11. Jozef Nakielski

16th April, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Pips, I love dogs but I also love fireworks and I don’t think its fair to say no one can ever have fireworks because it upsets your dog. Its not like its every day of the year.

12. observer

16th April, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Josef your missing the point, If people know when there are fireworks they can keep their animals in. Hundreds of animals including a rabbit i knew..died from fright each year. If you saw my old dog on bonfire night scrambling up the sofa dribbling and heart beating so fast it almost came through her chest you would understand.

I used to think people were being silly till i had animals that are scared..fireworks can sometimes go on for days and its not fair. They are getting louder too. I love fireworks but they could be quieter for the sake of animals..including wild ones.

13. Sandra

16th April, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Observer is correct. If pet owners are aware this is going to happen they can try and protect their animals. Lets not forget too that there are people who need sound sleep so they can effectively care for our sick friends and relatives. Most people who are anti Thatcher are anti because of her lack of consideration for the less well off and fortunate, so being inconsiderate to others is not an anti Thatcher gesture.

14. Jeff David

16th April, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Yes, let’s think about the poor animals for a change…try not to dwell on:

* The death of a former Prime Minister who was undoubtedly one of the most divisive politicians of the modern era.
    * Whether it is right for millions of pounds to be spent on her funeral.
    * What possible reason could David Cameron have had for cutting short an official visit and recalling Parliament a few days early at considerable expense to the taxpayer for a “debate” that was as long and tedious as it was pointless.
    * Is it justifiable for the police to question someone for meeting a few friends in a pub.

This amazing tangent this thread has spawned sums this country up.

Avoid the difficult questions, ignore the real issues, just think about the poor animals.

15. barry the roofer

16th April, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I have 4 dogs an they loved the fireworks, they woulndt stop howling an went mental!!!
    were so lucky to live in such a peaceful city where the police have nothing important to worry about

16. Pips

16th April, 2013 at 8:25 pm

And the point of setting of fireworks was?…

17. bob

16th April, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Why are we talking about fireworks? Is not the bigger picture your right to free speech and you right to vote for whichever polictical party and what right does the police to ask in whatever situation?

18. Rachel

17th April, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Rest in Peace Thatcher! heartless people unable to say what they thought about her to her face, cowards waiting until she died but then remaining annoymous! “real hard” that is! What goes around comes around, nobody’s perfect but how cruel and mindless is it to celebrate somethings death?! what is the world coming too i ask myself!

19. Sabcat

17th April, 2013 at 2:19 pm

“Something’s death” you didn’t see her as human either eh Rachel?

We’re not anonymous btw, just ask the police, they turned up here to ask about our politics.

20. Jozef Nakielski

17th April, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I do not remain annonamoose I use my real name. If someone wants to hunt me down and try to kill me (which has happened) so be it. Tis opinions that change the world, if we didn’t air them nothing would ever change.

I get your point about letting people know. I’ve got to know a fireworks company quite well and I’ve had a bit of training, hopefully more this year. Ideally you do let people know. Its not always practical . newspapers may not be interested in great aunt eidiths 82nd birthday bash. Although letters through doors in the immediate vicinity doesn’t go a miss. I have done door visits before and after.
    What i don’t think is necessary is an attack on people who aren’t clued up on what is the polite course of actions if possible.

21. Jozef Nakielski

17th April, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I say thank god it went smoothly, wasn’t bombed and went without trouble cos if they’d had to postpone it we’d have had 20 million to cough up out of our taxes instead of the ridiculous 10 million.