The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Strike duo combine to earn Chasetown FC a win over Bedworth

Paul Sullivan keeps his marker at bay. Pic: Pamela Mullins

Paul Sullivan keeps his marker at bay. Pic: Pamela Mullins

It was a bonfire night to remember, remember as Chasetown FC returned to winning ways with an excellent victory over Bedworth United.

Despite their lowly league position, the visitors under the new manager Nick Hawkins were a different proposition than the one The Scholars faced at the Oval earlier this season.

The Greenbacks started at a pace and brightly, with three ex-Scholars including Mark Branch and Ben Steane in their starting line-up.

It was another former Chasetown player, Gavin Hurren, who provided the first noteworthy incident in the game. Conceding a free kick for a late challenge on Ramone Stephens, Hurren picked up both the first yellow card of the encounter and an injury which saw him forced off.

Bedworth took the lead in the 23rd minute with their first serious attempt at goal when Reuben Wiggins-Thomas netted beneath the crossbar with the home side appealing for a foul on goalkeeper Ryan Price.

Craig Harris’ men were quickly on level terms though. Just after the half hour, a corner from debutant Dean Bennett was guided beyond Sheridan Martinez by the head of Nick Wellecomme at the near post.

The Scholars were boosted by the goal and knew that Bedworth were there for the taking. Four minutes after the goal, Paul Sullivan nipped beyond two defenders and as Martinez came out of his goal, the striker guided the ball beyond him only to see substitute Greg Webb clear off the line.

Martinez was already putting in a performance to earn himself the Man of the Match award and he made three saves to deny the Chasetown front two. First, he clawed away a Sullivan effort and then he dived full strength to push a Wellecomme shot away from danger.

As The Scholars dominated, the big custodian denied Wellecomme again with a strong hand.

It came as no surprise when Chasetown eventually took the lead. Sullivan, who had come into this game as joint leading scorer with Wellecomme, matched his strike partner’s efforts by thumping home an unstoppable right-footer from outside the area after taking two defenders out of the game with a brilliant run.

Chris Slater closes down the ball. Pic: Pamela Mullins

Chris Slater closes down the ball. Pic: Pamela Mullins

Backed up by good midfield play, Sullivan and Wellecomme combined again at the start of the second period as the latter was one-on-one with just Martinez to beat, but an over-hit first touch gave the visiting keeper just enough chance to smother the ball.

Wellecomme was a yard wide with another shot before Bennett forced Martinez into a fine stop, adjusting quickly to the effort which had taken a slight deflection.

The Chasetown number nine saw another chance go wide when a right foot drive shaved the upright, before Martinez again denied him.

The Bedworth stopper had probably deserved his luck when he spilled a Bennett corner which was heading into his own goal until Anthony Newton cleared off the line.

But there was still time for the visitors to produce what would have been an undeserved equaliser. Tristram Whitman’s effort seemed destined to hit the back of the net until Price pulled off a super save before skipper Chris Slater threw his body in front of the rebound.

Chasetown: Price, Farmer, Keenan, Slater, Tesfa Robinson, Halsall, Stephens, Bennett, Wellecomme (Bannister, 83 mins), Sullivan (Theo Robinson, 89 mins), Beckett (Butler, 69 mins). Subs not used: Tyrone Williams, Watson.
Bedworth United: Martinez, Newton, Branch, Hurren (Webb, 15 mins), Craven, Whyman (Edmonds, 73 mins), Steane, Forde, Grandison, Wiggins-Thomas, Munn (Whitman, 61 mins). Subs not used: Hutchcox, Peel.

Click below to see more of Pamela Mullins’ pictures from the game:

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.